Author Topic: Recommended 64bit computer.  (Read 10317 times)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Recommended 64bit computer.
« on: December 23, 2009, 03:17:50 AM »
Hi everyone :),

Can you please give me some suggestions about what 64bit computer would be good to buy for me^^,my laptop is going old and it seem that its condenser and 7 other things inside stopped working.But is that true that a Pc have a better advantage than a laptop?This is because I was told that if something don't work anymore in a pc it can be replaced whereas in a laptop it is difficult to do it.

Thanks,
Shiw Liang :)

cinchez

Re: Recommended 64bit computer.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:41:14 AM »
About the laptop and PC thing, PC is better because [I guess it has more raw power]^^

Laptop is more on business^^

Try googling 64bit computers^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 05:32:25 AM »
Oh thanks for the advises^^

ardvark

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:45:53 AM »
Hi everyone :),

Can you please give me some suggestions about what 64bit computer would be good to buy for me^^,my laptop is going old and it seem that its condenser and 7 other things inside stopped working.But is that true that a Pc have a better advantage than a laptop?This is because I was told that if something don't work anymore in a pc it can be replaced whereas in a laptop it is difficult to do it.

Thanks,
Shiw Liang :)

Hi...

How much do you want to spend and are you wanting another laptop? Do you need higher end graphics or sound? :)

Quality wise, I remember seeing this thread here a while back. Also, I wouldn't purchase a system that has less than 3 or 4 GB's of memory, you will need the extra later on.

May God bless you :)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »
These don't matter much^_^"
What I want is a good laptop or pc with a high speed performance which I'll lose less time plus where I will be able to do school work that's all.

DukeNukem

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
You are right about laptops being difficult to repair, but if you look after your laptop is should last.

Benefits of laptop,

Portable
Battery power, helps when there is a power cut :)
Takes less desk space
Performance, good as a PC

Disadvantages
Gaming - unless you buy a gaming laptop, very expensive
Heat, some laptops have poor cooling.
Repairing, difficult / part availability (higher repair costs)

I own a Samsung R510, which i have found to be a great laptop. I paid £375, 6 months ago.

Benefits of a PC

Easy to repair (and cheaper)
Overall more powerful
Cost less

Disadvantages
Not portable
Takes more desk space
Uses more power (electricity)

If buying a laptop, avoid Dell and HP, they run at 19.5v and 18.5v respectively. it is harder to find universal power supplies at these voltages.

At the end of the day, its your choice.

I would suggest making a list of all the PC's and Laptops you are interested in, then comparing features / specification / performance and price.

Work out which is better for you or which is better value for money.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
Hello shiw,

make use of the current technology. buy a 64bit computer and make sure you will install 64 bit windows. or if you buy a laptop make sure you buy the same with 64 bit windows loaded.

I heard some good things about thoshiba(laptop).

good luck
nmb

cakedoer2

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »
If speed is all you need (pun intended) then I suggest getting one with a high end processor, like Intel Core Duo and above.

I'm with a Dual Core Intel Pentium, and it has lasted three years so far and worked flawlessly. I've upgraded my RAM, GPU and HDD, and I personally don't look at laptops much because I'm a gamer.

But don't get one with an AMD processor. You'll be sorry. Trust me.

My dad has a Fujistu Siemens laptop, and it seems good. So I would recommend either that or an HP laptop.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:15:00 PM by cakedoer2 »

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 07:58:31 PM »
I've got a Gateway laptop with an AMD Turion™ 64 X2 dual-core TL-60 4gigs of RAM, I love it.

It came with 64bit Vista & I got a free upgrade to Windows 7 64bit.

It's blazingly fast!  I ran full scans with both mban & SAS at the same time along with other programs & surfing the web with no slowdown.  It does everything in a hurry.

I used to buy only Intel powered computers.  One day I found an old desktop computer for sale in a thrift shop for $19.98, it had an AMD Sempron single core processor & 512 RAM.  Out of curiosity I bought it.  When I got it home & turned it on it had a bad hard drive.  It had enough life to burn the recovery discs.  I bought a new hard drive, after installing the new hdd & reloading the XP os, WOW!

My Intel's with faster cpu's & more RAM couldn't compete.

The Intel fans lied to me.  I gave away my Intels.  Now I'll only buy AMD.  Sometimes fast is slow & slow is faster. ;D

cakedoer2

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 11:35:05 PM »
Wait, I meant AMD Athlon. Sorry.

I still find Intel CPUs better, though. I've had two experiences with AMD, and both were bad.

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 01:53:42 AM »

Five years later and not even one problem with this AMD Athlon 64 ... nor any problems with 2 previous AMD cpu's.

But, as with any product, there are always a few lemons ... including with Intel.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
Thank you everyone for your recommendation!
But had anyone heard of a PC which have quad core something like that...?

The choice is quite difficult hehe ;D

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 08:46:50 AM »

But 32bit windows also work right?
But if I install the 32bit does that means that my pc will process it slower than 64bit windows?

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2009, 11:48:07 AM »
Yes you can install 32 bit windows on a 64 bit cpu. Infact all today's cpu's that you would get from a store are 64 bit.

Trying to explain this in the simplest possible way, go with 64 bit os if you have 4gb or more ram OR you are planning to use more than 4gb in the future. If you have less than 4gb go with 32 bit. My recommendation, get 4gb of ram and put on win 7 x64.

Both Intel and AMD make good cpu's, i've used both in the last 15 yrs(and a few others i am sure you never heard of) and never had a cpu die on me or any other problems for that matter. I don't have a preference for one or the other so when i am buying a cpu(or any other hardware component) the only thing that matters to me is price/performance. And the company that offers the best p/p at the time get's my money, simple as that. ATM it's AMD that i am using, switched to Phenom II quad from Intel Core Duo and i am very very satisfied.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »

But 32bit windows also work right?
But if I install the 32bit does that means that my pc will process it slower than 64bit windows?
Oh Thanks,
I think I got it,
4gb of RAM ???
The laptop available has only 2 Gb of RAM :-\when bought but I think we can upgrade it up to 8Gb.
Have a nice day :)