Author Topic: avast! 4.8 Home - email scanner  (Read 5984 times)

enabled

avast! 4.8 Home - email scanner
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
Hi, I have just installed avast! home 4.8 on my newly formatted Windows 7 computer. All is working fine with it apart from one thing that is more of a niggling little thing that has got me thinking. The email scanner, is it only for outlook? I am using a browser called SeaMonkey, basically Firefox and it has a built in email client, which I am using for my gmail account. However I am a bit nervous about possible virus' getting in via this if avast's email scanner only works with outlook. Can anyone shed some light on this because I am stumped. I have checked the settings on avast and don't see any possible option to select the program you want it to scan the emails from. Is there a add-on/plug-in I could maybe get so my emails do get scanned? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Luke
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:04:47 AM by enabled »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: avast! 4.8 Home - email scanner
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:54:41 AM »
Don't worry, Gmail have already scanned the mail before it reaches  you, using two virus engines, McAfee and Authentium

Gmail is using secure mail (SSL - Secure Sockets Layer) and Avast cant scan this unless using a program called stunnel http://www.stunnel.org/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:01:22 PM by Pondus »

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »
so yeah, if you wanna stick to V4.8, you need stunnel, otherwise you could switch to the beta of avast 5 that's got an ssl proxy integrated and can now scan gmail in clients. If you need help about that, go to the beta section  ;)

enabled

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:16:56 PM »
Or use outlook instead of the built in email client on SeaMonkey? Just a bit of annoyance that avast email scanner is only for outlook.

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
Or use outlook instead of the built in email client on SeaMonkey? Just a bit of annoyance that avast email scanner is only for outlook.

we told you already (or didn't we...no we didn't  :-X ), what makes you say that avast email scanner is only for outlook  ???   it works with all email clients.

enabled

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 02:21:43 AM »
The email scanner, is it only for outlook? I am using a browser called SeaMonkey, basically Firefox and it has a built in email client, which I am using for my gmail account. However I am a bit nervous about possible virus' getting in via this if avast's email scanner only works with outlook. Can anyone shed some light on this because I am stumped. I have checked the settings on avast and don't see any possible option to select the program you want it to scan the emails from.

I didnt for certain say it didn't work, I asked the question :P It's a browser based email client so I don't no for certain. I don't see any settings in there or anything about avast scanning it or nothing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 03:54:50 AM »
You said this in your first post:
Quote from: enabled
I am using a browser called SeaMonkey, basically Firefox and it has a built in email client, which I am using for my gmail account.

An email client doesn't use a browser to view email, but downloads the email from the server and views the email in the email client (inbox, etc.).

If you are using webmail only viewed through your browser then the Web Shield would be monitoring webmail, however if you are logged into gmail and it is an HTTPS, SSL secure communication, then the web shield 'can't' monitor that. This is the whole point of secure communication, to keep prying eyes out, including AVs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

enabled

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
Meh, think ill goto outlook lol

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »
I never tried SeaMonkey integrated email client, but I guess it's close to Thunderbird, nothing to do with a web based client. It's just a suite, so avast should work with it. Open the client's settings  ::)

aandacooper

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »
I have a similar problem with Windows7(64 bit) and Thunderbird. Avast 4.8 blocks my POP account and I have to turn it off to receive emails.  I have the identical set up on my WinXP machine with Avast 4.8 and it works OK.
Does any one know if there a fix for the problem?

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »
I'm running V5 beta now but I've used 4.8 several months on Win7/64 (beta, RC and RTM) with Thunderbird and had no issues at all with the mail scanner...yeah, I was running Stunnel at the same time as ssl proxy, to allow avast to scan mails.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »
I have a similar problem with Windows7(64 bit) and Thunderbird. Avast 4.8 blocks my POP account and I have to turn it off to receive emails.  I have the identical set up on my WinXP machine with Avast 4.8 and it works OK.
Does any one know if there a fix for the problem?

avast doesn't block, it scans and alerts to infected email, so what else is in the mix.

What errors are you getting, please post the full error text ?
Are you using SSL for your email transmission ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and try to collect your email, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

aandacooper

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »
Re your query about the firewall. 
This machine came with a version of Norton which I thought I had completely disabled. On further inspection I found part of Norton still running.  Dissabled that and Avast worked OK
Thanks for your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 04:36:25 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

I would take it a step further as Norton can be a pig to remove completely:
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Welcome to the forums.