Author Topic: Will Avast Home work with Norton 360?  (Read 7924 times)

Dorian Saignren

Will Avast Home work with Norton 360?
« on: December 24, 2009, 03:46:04 AM »
I've been here before for a variety of bugs on my computer at one time, and the people here really helped me to finally drag my computer out of the grave it was digging for itself.  Avast has helped me immensely in that project as well as the other programs and sites that were recommended from users here.  In the end my computer was back to running like I had first gotten it, for which I am grateful.  Recently that computer took a turn for the worse and the screen was shattered, leaving the computer (a mini) completely FUBAR...  Luckily my grandmother was getting a new laptop so she gave me her old one (which is better than my mini ever was >.<)  Anyway, to the point... My grandmother's computer already has a paid for in full version of Norton 360 on it, but I still don't want to get rid of Avast, or the other programs I was recommended (link to thread here for reference) unless I'm sure they would conflict with or be rendered useless by Norton 360.  Any advice on this matter would be appreciated ^_^

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Will Avast Home work with Norton 360?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:01:35 AM »
The short answer is No.

Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

Whilst you may get away with it for a while, low level drivers will at some point clash and this could cause the system to lock up, if this happens during boot you could be locked out.

If I was using it (extremely unlikely) and there is something wrong with Norton 360, there is no way I would wait until the license period expired before getting shot of it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dorian Saignren

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 04:33:24 AM »
I figured as much.  Still, should I hang onto the programs like SUPERAntiSpyware, Malewarebytes Anti-Maleware, Webroot Desktop Firewall and HijackThis?

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:27:18 AM »
Not sure about the firewall but all the rest are keepers.
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

Dorian Saignren

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
good to know.  anyone know about the firewall?  will it cause problems if I have it running with norton?

I see that norton does have a firewall but IDK how good it is, especially since common sense tells me that two firewalls up at once might not be a good idea, hence me asking wiser folk ^_^
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:42:21 AM by Dorian Saignren »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

icr

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
I too suggest not to use multiple AV on the same computer but monitoring(Real Time) both might conflict and will make your computer unstable.

I don't recommend to keep any of the components off like keeping the Norton firewall on and its AV part off(and using avast AV).

If you want to add some extra protection just use any on-demand scanners like MBAM,SAS to name few.