Author Topic: windows firewall and avast  (Read 4847 times)

softoprascal

windows firewall and avast
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:58:08 PM »
Hello......Is Windows Firewall and Avast sufficient protection when downloading and general Internet use?   :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: windows firewall and avast
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:28:17 AM »
Short answer No.

The windows firewall depending on what OS (which you didn't mention ?) may not provide outbound protection.

Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

The Vista Firewall provides the same level of inbound protection - You could also enable the outbound protection of the Vista firewall, but it isn't very friendly, is rule based and you have to create the rules. - Vista Firewall Control, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html and this, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html. Also check out this topic for some user friendly help for the Vista Firewall, Outbound protection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30234.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

softoprascal

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:49:12 AM »
Thanks for your reply.Im looking at Commodo Firewall now.... ;D

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 01:13:21 AM »
If you elect to download and install the Comodo firewall, know that the installer package also contains the Comodo antivirus. During the installation only select the firewall component, not the AV.
The firewall is a fairly complex beast to learn, especially with the D+ option (defense plus) a kind of behaviour blocker. It's considered very effective, but could represent quite a learning curve for you. (Possibility of a lot of prompts and popups, especially in the first few days after installing.)
The one I use is a lot easier to learn, smaller download, too.
But it's entirely up to you.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »
Thanks for your reply.Im looking at Commodo Firewall now.... ;D

You're welcome.

Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
- Comodo is now a suite and you have to do a custom install so as not to install the antivirus element (or use the add remove programs to remove the AV element if already installed), of all the firewalls listed this seems to be the noisiest in asking questions, depending on settings and elements used (Defense+), so it could be daunting for those not to familiar with firewalls or their systems.
- Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pinnacle

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 02:54:49 AM »
well i use Windows XP Firewall and Avast and its down right EXHILARATING.   YEAH believe that and i have some swamp land to sell you good choice Comodo
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 02:57:10 AM by pinnacle »

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 04:49:17 AM »
Well ... I REALLY do only use avast 4.8 Home Free and the Windows XP Firewall.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

softoprascal

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »
 ;)  Thanks everybody for your help,dont know if it shows but Im new to computing so do welcome solid advice.

The feeling I get is that Avast needs a Buddy in the form of another Firewall,and not the Windows one...

Ive put Commodo on,once its learned your Software,it just keeps quiet...You sort of allow it to do stuff,and as long as its somthing I recognise,I allow it.

Id just like to say how helpful this Forum is,absolutely brilliant and Ive reccomended it to fellow new PC users who Ive reccomended Avast to.

I love that voice on a morning to tell me its updated,sort of gives you a reassuring hug,LOL... ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
I love that voice on a morning to tell me its updated,sort of gives you a reassuring hug,LOL...  ;D

I like the female voice of avast! V5 telling me its updated. 8)

Plus V5 Suite will have a firewall.

I'm not a fan of Comodo though.