Author Topic: Resident Protection doesn't start - AAVM detected RPC err - services disabled  (Read 3957 times)

jkenw

Resident Protection doesn't start during system boot. Attempts to start manually -- tasks/resident protection/run -- fail with messages: "The AAVM Subsystem detected a RPC error" and "Can not start Resident Protection Task".

Review with MMC show 4 Avast services disabled. Can not start or change startup status from "disabled".

Running AVAST 4.8  on Windows XP SP3.

Stumped! Has anyone seen this problem or have any advice to offer?

Thanks, jkenw

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
This is most commonly associated with another AV or remnants of one still on your system.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jkenw

Thanks. Recent update to Zone Alarm added AV capability. Tried to disable ... perhaps unsuccessfully. I probably need to completely remove Zone Alarm and re-install just the firewall portion. Thoughts?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That is exactly what you need to do uninstall ZA completely, reboot and do a custom install excluding the AV element.

Resident AVs install low level drivers to hook files to be able to scan them, this can cause conflict, which at worst can lock up your system or worse still if it happens at boot. So if avast detects this it can disable its processes to avoid possible serious conflict.

If this is ZA Pro you may be in for more joys of ZA as its Privacy function can also conflict with the Web Shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security