Author Topic: Avast Home not recognised by Win7  (Read 3203 times)

Offline traceyw

Avast Home not recognised by Win7
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:43:43 AM »
Hi

Along with several others, I too am having problems with Win7 not recognising that I have Avast Home up and running on my PC and tells me I have no anti-virus protection. Now maybe the solution IS to be found on this forum but I've yet to find it. True, I have found and tried implementing the solutions I HAVE found but so far it hasn't been much and what I have found has not so far worked. It is most odd since I look after three PCs we have in our home, each having been upgraded (dual-boot) to Win7 and each having Avast Home installed. However, so far only one PC has Win7 recognising that Avast is installed.

I doubt it has aything to do with it but we are all on Win7 Home Premium N. Each also has a working copy of Avast Home installed with its own registration number. So - is there a solution yet? Another forum I found reckoned it was down to the information provided by the AV supplier to the OS (apparently its not just Avast that has the problem as other AV products suffer the same problem).

So does anyone have any suggestions or can someone perhaps point me to a site where a solution may be found. Any help in getting Win7 to recognise that Avast is actually installed and protecting my PC - if indeed it is - would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Tracey

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Home not recognised by Win7
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:36:57 AM »
The main thing is to confirm that avast is actually running.

- What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

In previous OSes, the Windows Security Center has been flaky at times (I'm sorry about the technical terms) and either failing to recognise your AV or still recognising your previous AV.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Try this, I don't know if this is valid for win7 as I don't use it:
Click Start (or whatever win7 calls it), Run and type CMD.EXE

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop wscsvc
net stop winmgmt

again you will have to see if this path exists in win7:
* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt
net start wscsvc

EXIT
Reboot
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JeanieG

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 03:28:25 AM »
Hi,

I am running Win 7 64 bit home premium.  I find the avast status under the expanded "Security" section in the "Action Center" on the Control Panel.  This is when control panel is set to show "All Control Panel Items".

I do get a warning in that section that "defender" and "Avast" are both turned on but so far this has not caused any problems that I can see at least.

JeanieG

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:50:00 AM »
This is because both defender and avast are considered anti-spyware, but as you say not an issue.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security