Author Topic: How is avast going to repair infected files in version 5?  (Read 4304 times)

JanAchik123

How is avast going to repair infected files in version 5?
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
I've heard avast 5 doesn't have the VRDB, so how will it repair infected files by file infectors such as Win32:Virut? I've tried repairing files in an infected virtual machine -infected by Win32:Virut, but it comes up with Error: The file was not repaired (42060). ???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How is avast going to repair infected files in version 5?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:56:46 PM »
Virut and other File infectors - Throwing in the Towel?
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2009/02/virut-and-other-file-infectors-throwing.html

Dealing with the dispicable Vitro / Virut (Win32.Virut) polymorphic virus
http://technosopher.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/vitro-virut-win32/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »
Repair is almost a myth nowadays... You just can't repair a system infected with virut. It's too deep and dangerous to be handled.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »
There are some new cleaning routines which will be integrated into the new version 5.0 (can't say more), but as has been said some virus/file infectors make it almost impossible to repair. As removal of the injected code/repair may damage the original file further.

So time to revise your Back-up and Recovery strategy, you do have one don't you.

-- SYSTEM BACK-UP & RECOVERY
If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
If you have a back-up and recovery plan, you can recover from anything in minutes, not hours or days.

1. back-up all the things that you don't want to lose, data files, like documents, spreadsheets, emails, email account details, registration keys, address book, favourites/bookmarks, downloaded files/programs, etc. the list goes on and on but if you don't want to lose it back it up. There are many back-up programs that can simplify this task and run it every day.

2. Recovery - re-installing your system really is a poor choice and one of last resort. There are tools (Drive Imaging software) that take exact images of your Partitions or Hard Disks and these images can be restored in minutes if you suffer a major catastrophe and that doesn't have to be a virus attack.

I do a weekly image of my partitions and save them to my 2nd hard disk, they can also be saved to off-line storage, DVD, USB external hard disk, etc. as part of my weekly system maintenance.

So if the worst comes to the worst at most I lose:
A. 6 days worth of program updates or new installations, but with my daily back-up I can recover most of that.
B. less than one days data files, emails, etc.
None of these is a problem and much quicker than a system reinstall and I don't have to go on-line to download the myriad of security updates needed to secure my system where there is a chance to get reinfected whilst my system has vulnerabilities because of these missing patches. Not to mention all my system tweaks and program settings are retained and I will have saved myself many hours of work and a huge amount of stress.

Many of these programs cost, there are some free ones, but it will take some research on your part to find these tools and decide on what is best for you from reviews, user feed back, etc. good luck.
- Free EASEUS Partition Master http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm this also allows for disk copying.
- Free Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Free Edition http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/index.html, this is a big download over 100MB for those on dial-up, phone a friend on broadband.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security