Author Topic: deleting an .dll extension file  (Read 3569 times)

kawasaki

deleting an .dll extension file
« on: June 17, 2004, 01:57:08 PM »
HELLO EVERYBODY

During a deep scan in my computer the AVAST showed me a list with files that the scan was impossible.
With right click on each of these files i had the choice to "delete" or "repair" and some other options that i dont remember,for some files i chose "repair" and for some  others i chose "delete".
Not good!
Because after that the Windows media player,and not only this application, asks for the:DCIMAN32.DLL
I downloaded this file from the internet but the windows(xp)cannot open this file.
I am not experienced so any help would be welcome.

THANK YOU

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:deleting an .dll extension file
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 02:07:16 PM »
What does it mean "cannot open the file"? You should copy (save) the file to your windows\system32 directory.

In any case, a fact that avast! wasn't able to scan a file - doesn't mean that the file is infected! (so deleting it is rather a bad action). On the other hand, I would like to know why exactly this file couldn't be scanned...

whocares

Re:deleting an .dll extension file
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 02:10:10 PM »
1) i chose "delete".
Not good!

2) DCIMAN32.DLL
I downloaded this file from the internet but the windows(xp)cannot open this file.

Hi,

@1) correct, deleting wasn't a good idea..
"scanning impossible" usually means that the file is a encrypted (= harmless) or in use (=Locked by WIN): -> avast tells you which is the case in its report.
Both DON'T necessarily mean that there's a virus in it..so you shouldn't normally be worried..

even when there's virus/trojan alert:
if you don't know what you're doing, it's best to just block access or move it to chest (if it can't be repaired!!); then get some info on it

@2) either copy the file to it's original location (see avast's report/logs on this info)
or download&reinstall mediaplayer from MS-website..
 ;)