Author Topic: Firefox 3.6 delayed  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Re: Firefox 3.6 delayed
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »
It is getting difficult for Firefox to innovate.

There is a very huge competition between Chrome, IE, Safari, Firefox and Opera

Opera 10.50 alpha might have hit their head.

Do you know the real reason?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:09:36 PM by Chris Thomas »

cinchez

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
Theres no real reason to rush though, if they release 3.6 earlier, it will be full of bugs and all...

Thats a greater deal compared to releasing a complete build on a later time^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
I thought the topic was about the slow (or delayed) cold startup time of Firefox.. First impressions.. :)

Back to the topic, I hope they fix the very frequent crash issues.. and memory usage too.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
It is getting difficult for Firefox to innovate.

It is Opera that has been doing all the innovating in the browser world.

IE, Firefox & Chrome have been copycatting Opera.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 03:48:40 PM »
I thought the topic was about the slow (or delayed) cold startup time of Firefox.. First impressions.. :)

Back to the topic, I hope they fix the very frequent crash issues.. and memory usage too.

lol no...  ;) anyway, your post is the first one in this thread, after mine, talking about firefox. Don't know exactly why it was delayed, Opera doesn't count for Mozilla. Some third party developers steal ideas from Opera to develop extensions for Firefox, that's another story. The only thing Mozilla has to be careful with concerning the competition is Google Chrome's speed...and btw even if not what they expected, Google Chrome market share is already above Opera, after just a few months or a year, when ...how old is Opera again  ;D

as far as I'm concerned, in terms of functionality and security, Firefox rules, expecting a bit of speed though. the cold start duration is really an issue, especially when you load many extensions. As to memory issues and crashes, never saw that, heard of it frequently but never experienced it myself.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »
Hi Logos,

Gives me more time to test the Fx 3.7 with sandboxed tab browsing - the developers heavily borrowed from Google Chrome or variants like SRWare's Iron 4. Those browsers are faster than Fx and IE8 by heaps (IE8 slowed down now considerable by patching and patching and patching like an old sponge would slow down on windows). If GoogleChrome had the coding to bring NoScript, RequestPolicy and a full flung ABP I would never look back for the old browsers, and if the OS is all inside the Chrome browser like Google Chrome OS maybe we would never have to look back to MS either, who knows what the future will bring?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
Hi Logos,

Gives me more time to test the Fx 3.7 with sandboxed tab browsing - the developers heavily borrowed from Google Chrome or variants like SRWare's Iron 4. Those browsers are faster than Fx and IE8 by heaps (IE8 slowed down now considerable by patching and patching and patching like an old sponge would slow down on windows). If GoogleChrome had the coding to bring NoScript, RequestPolicy and a full flung ABP I would never look back for the old browsers, and if the OS is all inside the Chrome browser like Google Chrome OS maybe we would never have to look back to MS either, who knows what the future will bring?

polonus

Hi,

agreed for the browsers, Chrome is very convincing ...but I disagree about the upcoming OS...heard more precisely about what Chrome OS is about, especially after a version leaked and was commented, honestly, I wouldn't mind it may be on a smart phone... ;D
 Looking forward to hearing about your testing with FF 3.7  ;)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »
Yes, I am also testing Firefox 3.7.

It is much much better than all previous releases of Firefox.

I have made it my default browser even though it is a trunk build.