Author Topic: Avast recommends Chrome browser !?  (Read 4826 times)

Spiritsongs

Avast recommends Chrome browser !?
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:00:09 AM »
 :)  Hi :

Was surprised when I came across a Post in the WindowsSecrets Lounge
 Forums that Avast now recommends the Chrome Browser, bundling it with
 Avast !?  See :
 http://www.thewindowsclub.com/after-realplayer-avast-adaware-to-bundle-chrome-browser .

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
Re: Avast recommends Chrome browser !?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:35 AM »
I've seen this in person and am NOT fond of this kind of thing.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:41:20 PM »
It's an opt-in during the installation. Seems both are freewares, I see no problems. avast will also being into Google Pack.
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 03:56:43 PM »
Thankfully ALWIL have chosen, like Tech said, it is not forced on you and you don't have to go searching for a 'slim' build which doesn't have it included...

It is merely an option...and a chance for avast! to get some advertising, which IMO is needed...

Quote from: Vincent Stekler >> on the blog
We are not forcing Chrome on users.  It is entirely up to the user–to download/install is entirely up to the user and nothing is hidden.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:11:18 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

When Comodo does it while renaming the browser in question as Comodo Dragon for a more privacy friendly form of GoogleChrome a la SRWare's Iron everybody welcomes this step and does not fail to applaud, see other posts in this forum. Well, if Fx choose Google as search engine of choice and sponsor and Flock choose Yahoo to search you won't hear any further comments, and when your weather is presented with an advertising pop-under not a soul comments, I really do not see much difference here. I won't use that particular Google Chrome flaw but I have chosen SRWare's Iron version with my personal extensions and to surf malcode protected I stick with Fx or Flock with NS and RP extensions aboard,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:25 PM »
This was discussed previously in another topic.

The arrangement is somewhat reciprocal, in that avast comes in the google pack ;D

Me, I don't mind so long as it is Opt-in rather than opt-out. My only real concerns are if this adds more size to an already large avast off-line installation download, for those not fortunate to be on broadband but stuck on dial-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:41:50 PM »
My only real concerns are if this adds more size to an already large avast off-line installation download, for those not fortunate to be on broadband but stuck on dial-up.
The Chrome is installed on-demand, i.e., it downloads Google installer. It's not present in the avast setup file (afik).
The best things in life are free.