Author Topic: AAVM subsystem detected a RPC Error - Uninstalled McAFee  (Read 3503 times)

ARR

AAVM subsystem detected a RPC Error - Uninstalled McAFee
« on: December 31, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »
Hi,

My on-access protection is inactive - the avast icon with the red circle.

I have already completed the following steps:

1. I have uninstalled McAFee completely using an uninstall tool. I was unable to do it using Windows Add/Remove utility.
2. I have gone through the steps delineated in http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-red-circle.html. I have repaired, and still Avast does not work with the on-access protection.
3. I have uninstalled Avast using aswClear tool and reinstalled many times, after removing McAFee, but the problem is still there.
4. I have checked in the Services section and turned the mail scanner and HTTP scanner to Automatic and started the service.
5. In Task manager I find following processes:
ashDisp.exe 4504K
ashMaiSv.exe 580K
ashWebSv.exe 4396K
ashServ.exe 2948K
6. Finally, in Avast's logs I see this: 12/30/2009 11:12:43 PM   SYSTEM   688   AAVM - initialization error: AavmStart: Cannot load core driver!!!, 00000002.
7. I wonder if the previous Antivirus permanently locked some driver. 

Can someone at Avast please help me with this?? I would really really appreciate it. I would really like to solve this issue, because I love Avast and all the features it is providing.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition.

Can uninstalling and reinstalling in Safe Mode Help?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Regards,
Kumar

gizbar

Re: AAVM subsystem detected a RPC Error - Uninstalled McAFee
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »
Quick suggestion.

Did you un-install old AV under administrator account (not limited user?)

And same question for installing Avast?

I presume that you are installing version 4.8... You shouldn't need to be in 'safe' mode to install.

regards, Gizbar.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:24:29 PM by gizbar »

ARR

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 06:28:12 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply and suggestion!

I have uninstalled previous antivirus and installed Avast 4.8 using my account, not using the Admin account.

Yes, the version is home edition 4.8

I was wondering if installing in Safe mode would get the on-access protection working.

Thanks!

gizbar

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
But.. Is your account a 'limited' account or an administration account?

Safe mode only loads a minimal set of drivers, and I would assume that Avast would need to be installed on a 'normal installation' so that everything is up and running when Avast initialises.

Are you sure that the old AV has been completely uninstalled? Old AV's are notorious for leaving bits behind, and now the manufacturers' of said virus packages are producing their own uninstall programs to clear out all the dross and remnants of the old installation.

Hope that helps, Gizbar.

ARR

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »
My account is an Administration account.

I realize that removing older antiviruses can be painful and tricky. I removed McAFee using a tool I found in another forum. It did delete everything from icons, to files and folders and registry keys. I could not remove a single thing using Add/Remove.

Thanks!

gizbar

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
Before you go any further, maybe you could go to Avast.com and re-download the current version. Maybe the installer was corrupted?

I've never come across this myself, and I've already started running (beta testing) version 5.

Some of the more experienced guys will be along soon, and they may have different ideas than I have.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Regards, Gizbar.

bobo1

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »
Try Crap Cleaner to clean up the registry. To remove bits of leftovers from Macafee & run disk clean up & try installing avast afterwards again on a admisitrator account in xp only. If it fails you may need xp cd rom to try and repair windows!

bobo1

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
Did you use any other antivirus before Macafee? Symantec/ Nortons need to be removed as well!