Author Topic: website blocked under network shield deemed a "malicious site"  (Read 2233 times)

GLAMEOW

website blocked under network shield deemed a "malicious site"
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:46:31 PM »
when i go to check my e-mail @:

http://mail.paratek.com/

it's a Microsoft outlook web access server

it drops the connection, giving me that "This program cannot display the web page" screen under IE.

This site worked under Firefox, i just had to white-list the site under the internet mail scanner.

The reason I want to use IE for my mail is because it gives you more options, and makes it easier to use.

avast! network shield reports:

05.11.2009  17:48:50  Network Shield: blocked access to malicious site elihue.cn/SoSaomec.jpg [ C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe ( 2068 ) ]

when i shut off the on-access protection, it works!

thx a lot, as you guys at the avast! web forums are very, very helpful...

and that's part of the reason for my continued use of your product

GLAMEOW

Re: website blocked under network shield deemed a "malicious site"
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 04:07:59 PM »
double post!!!

lol, i just solved it myself by white-listing it on the web shield :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: website blocked under network shield deemed a "malicious site"
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 05:16:01 PM »
How can you block a network shield by white listing it in the web shield ?

Your problem is that the paratek.com site isn't blocked but that there is a link on that site that tries to load this elihue.cn/SoSaomec.jpg file. No doubt that this is either an infected .jpg or a .jpg exploit. So it looks like a page on the paratek.com may have been hacked. You could well have exposed your self by not scanning the paratek.com site (presumably that is what you white listed), not wise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.8821.762) UI 1.0.796/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security