Author Topic: Anti-spyware proggies tested...  (Read 3171 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Anti-spyware proggies tested...
« on: December 30, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

You have additional anti-spyware installed and wondered how they performed, MBAM and SAS etc.? Look here: http://malwareresearchgroup.com/?page_id=2
Results weren't that impressive, you feel sorry if you really can rely only on ComboScript during an assisted elimination job and your system cannot be rescued in any other way....

polonus
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:27:25 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

YoKenny

Re: Anti-spyware proggies tested...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
They do not rate it with avast!

Glad to see that Prevx was 6th though.

Read the Conclusion about Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware:
http://malwareresearchgroup.com/?p=1197

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
You are late Pol, already posted December 16.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=52293.0

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »
Hi Pondos,

Sorry, but I was startled by the bad results for SAS and wondered (seeing the amount of FPs really) why a-squared landed so high in the charts of this report. Hitman Pro's results were no surprise to me, because it is a bundled application (and therefore less known in certain countries outside the Netherlands, Belgian Flanders, and South Africa, and Hitman Pro also has ESET Nod 32 in the cloud scanning aboard) - The report is indeed dated because Immunet Protect was not around at that time, and then a fact there are always detections to break any anti-malware tool like rootkitted vundo and certainly disastrous file infectors like virut, where there is no known cure for these "malware ill weeds".

And then the security aware look different upon the use of these applications, they have less chance on a malware infection, because they drop their full admin rights, they selectively block script and requests inside their browsers, they use a sandboxed application, they have malicious hosts blocking etc. etc. so they are grossly less vulnerable than the uneducated "risks taking" user working a la default that depends almost fully on mentioned programs,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:54:33 PM »
The only thing hitman pro found on my system were two false positives, hardly stunning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cinchez

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
The only thing hitman pro found on my system were two false positives, hardly stunning.
Lol, it found a trojan on my PC in school but cant remove it, dnt know why? ???

Saying, hardly stunning^^

-AnimeLover^^