Author Topic: MS openly declared war on linux (and open software)  (Read 26830 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
MS openly declared war on linux (and open software)
« on: January 01, 2010, 03:34:12 AM »
Hi malware fighters,

When a computer has XP installed I hope it has XP SP3 on it, it is run without full admin rights, or safeXP is installed, the user will use a browser with script blocking and request policy add-ons installed like Firefox with NoScript and RequestPolicy, a configuration like that will make any av solution more secure.
If not Windows XP will soon be the malware getto because it is coming near the end of its life cycle, and a decennium is a very long time in terms of Windows computers, as a computer out of the box and installed a la default also for applications it is les secure, but secured in the right way it can survive another couple of years.

On the other hand developers etc. will leave the platform just like they did for Win 95 and Win 98 SE and off course MS wants it that way, they openly declared war on linux now and advertised for an anti-linux manager: https://careers.microsoft.com/JobDetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=9914&jlang=EN

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: MS openly declared war on linux (and open software)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:46:11 AM »
If I used your interpretation Damian then it would also be true that every company has declared war on each of it's competitors.
That is the nature of competition. No company worth it's salt will ever be happy with the market share they currently have.
They will always strive to increase their market share and thereby seek to eliminate their competition.
I'm sure Alwil has that same drive and cunning to achieve the top position in the security industry. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:53:56 AM »
Hi bob3160,

It is a natural thing, and I just gave the facts as I found them, it made the big newspapers here in Holland, that's why,

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »
Isn't this an old game? MS can't defeat Linux and Linux can't defeat MS

They are both here to stay.

Open Source will never go away

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
MS can't defeat Linux and Linux can't defeat MS

not sure this describes the situation...MS is defeating Linux constantly, it's not even a goal, it's a natural fact. Does 95% vs 1% answer any doubt you may have ?  ;)

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
I always have backup OS just in case Windows fail. Linux | Windows = dual boot. :)

I guess, they should consider it as a mutualism rather a parasitism.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
I agree with your point Logos :)

MS is defeating Linux but Linux is not dead till now.

That is what I meant by MS can't defeat Linux and Linux can't defeat MS

MS cannot eradicate Linux completely nor  can Linux do anything substantial against MS.

Desktop market share of Linux range from less than 1% to 2.14%. In comparison, Microsoft operating systems hold more than 85%

In September 2008 Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer admitted that 60% of web-servers run Linux versus 40% that run Windows Server.

The Linux market is growing rapidly, and the revenue of servers, desktops, and packaged software running Linux was expected to exceed $35.7 billion by 2008.

Linux is a tough shit that never dies

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:17:07 PM by Chris Thomas »

ardvark

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »
not sure this describes the situation...MS is defeating Linux constantly, it's not even a goal, it's a natural fact. Does 95% vs 1% answer any doubt you may have ?  ;)

Hi all...

I'm convinced Linux and the Linux community would fare a better chance of increasing their "desktop" usage (end users like you and I) and becoming more competitive with Microsoft if some changes were made in how they construct the OS and how it it is supported. I used Ubuntu 5.10 for 5 months between October, 2006 and March, 2007 as my primary OS and was able to form some opinions...

1. Increase the functionality and ease of use to where even beginning users can navigate and work with the OS and software with ease. With Windows, it's really a matter of "point, click, install, it works!" most of the time. Only technical work requires the command line. With Linux, knowledge of command line language and code is required. Installing software and drivers can be a real headache and no one who is an average user is going to know or even want to know how to compile or "make" the individual software packages, particularly those in tar.gz format. Ubuntu's "synaptic package manager" is a good start but not close enough to how easy it is in Windows. Drivers often require messing with the X11 file or some other configuration file which for a beginning or average user, is going to be prohibitive. Some folks can learn, others will have absolutely no idea. :(

2. Driver quality and source has to be improved. Because many companies refuse to release the source code or contribute drivers of their own to the Linux community, the community is forced to write their own drivers, sometimes (or often) by reverse engineering, which often fail to take full advantage of the abilities of the given device. Some devices, like wireless networking chipsets and software modems, are still are not fully supported in Linux. The writers of Linux are going to have to somehow persuade a great many of these companies to write decent drivers for Linux that are comparable to their Windows counterparts. It's possible that this will require a "royalty" system of some kind, where the various organizations who make Linux, like Red Hat and Canonical contribute funds to pay these companies to write these drivers.

3. There needs to be a change of attitude with respect to support. Granted, some Linux distributions, like Red hat, have established means of professional support (at a cost but no different in most cases with Microsoft,) where a person can receive help from a real person by calling the company's technical support line. However, in a lot of cases, if not most, getting help with a technical issue in Linux means researching the issue on the internet and/or seeking assistance and the distribution's help forum where someone is bound to receive something like "go read the *blank* man page! (or documentation of some kind)" or "Google is your friend, look it up." If they do get help, it most likely involves a highly convoluted process that might help in solving the problem. A lot of these forums use the help of other distribution users, not technicians. Ubuntu's forum is, I think, friendlier than some, but I've seen my share of "attitudes" there as well and it has to stop. Calling people "noobs" and displaying a arrogant, superior attitude towards people who don't much about computers, let alone a complicated operating system that doesn't work like Windows, isn't going to cut it. Linux needs to develop more traditional paid support options that includes being able to speak to a live technician who is required to display a degree of professionalism. Forums should no longer be the primary means of support.

These are some of my conclusions after an interesting 5 months of dealing with this OS. Although I have to say, I learned quite a bit about Linux in those months. :)

May God bless you :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:41:55 PM by ardvark »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
MS can't defeat Linux and Linux can't defeat MS

That comparison is inaccurate at best. Why? Because, you can't track Linux's sales numbers to compare with Microsoft, because there are no sales numbers. With the exception of enterprise applications (both server and desktop adoption), desktop Linux is free to distribute (no one knows for sure who's using it, whether it be freestanding, or as part of a dual boot). Linux desktop market share (always a guess, for the reason mentioned) has been reported to be as high as 12-14%, though current consensus (at least what I've read) seems to put the number at 4-5%.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:44:21 PM by OrangeCrate »

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
Linux desktop market share (always a guess, for the reason mentioned) has been reported to be as high as 12-14%

come on  ::) this is laughable  ;D

adding: and btw the 1% number is the result of web analysis of course  :D ...and is probably relevant and acknowledged by most Linux communities and forums  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:03:48 PM by Logos »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
Linux desktop market share (always a guess, for the reason mentioned) has been reported to be as high as 12-14%

come on  ::) this is laughable  ;D

adding: and btw the 1% number is the result of web analysis of course  :D ...and is probably relevant and acknowledged by most Linux communities and forums ;)

For reasons I already mentioned, Linux usage numbers are all over the board. Here's a couple of articles discussing Linux market share, that back up my previous post. You can easily find others on your own...

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3818696/Linux-Desktop-Market-Share-Greater-Than-One-Percent.htm

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6671/1/

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:17:08 PM by OrangeCrate »

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »

Here's just one article discussing Linux market share. You can easily find others on your own...

look crate, I don't think I'll bother  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:28:14 PM by Logos »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 03:02:57 PM »

Here's just one article discussing Linux market share. You can easily find others on your own...

look crate, I don't think I'll bother  ;D

I didn't think you would. It's always easier to rely on some opinion you pull out of your, uh, "tail feathers", than to check out the current thinking on things, eh?  ;D

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, so there's no more argument from me.

:)

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
did I share with you my Linux experience, not I didn't, you don't know anything and I don't feel like going into details, so yeah let's leave it there  ::)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
did I share with you my Linux experience, not I didn't, you don't know anything and I don't feel like going into details, so yeah let's leave it there  ::)

Go ahead and share it.

My personal experience with Linux spans eight years (4 years as my primary operating system), with extensive experience with Debian, OzOS (an E17 distro), and Ubuntu, plus a good working knowledge of OpenSuse and Fedora.

Another thread here highlights my experience with a new computer that I purchased a year ago, that had Vista installed. Rather than erase it, I kept it around in a dual boot, and recently updated it to Windows 7 (which I like a lot, by the way). Frankly, I very seldom ever boot into Windows, but as long as I have it around, and since I still use Avast as one layer of my protection package, I periodically check in here to see what's going on. I've been a member around here since my XP dual boot days (Joining in 2005, I guess).

So, tell me about your Linux experience...

(I'm a big boy, I can take it. :))
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:03:39 PM by OrangeCrate »