Author Topic: outlook express  (Read 10613 times)

dronyon

outlook express
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:00:40 AM »
Hi all,

I've just installed avast, but I'm having serious problems to integrate it with Outlook Express. I have one Hotmail account, three IMAP accounts and one POP3 account.
After running the Wizard, I get only normal access to the POP3 account, one of the IMAP accounts has completely disappeared from Outlook (my Fastmail.fm account). On the Hotmail and two remaining IMAP accounts, I have lots of errors.
I've tried to follow the solution proposed by the FAQ and separately set each account up, but even then I have the same problem.
Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:outlook express
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 02:45:29 PM »
Well, I do not know much about Hotmail and IMAP...
But if you click the User FAQ links in my signature and, with patience, dig a little into the topics you will see some information abotu Hotmail.
Am I wrong to think that your IMAP account must be protected by the Outlook/Exchange plugin and not the Internet Mail provider (that is only for pop3/smtp accounts)?
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 01:02:47 AM »
dron,

Avast configures email accounts that are POP3, SMTP and IMAP.

Hotmail and Fastmail are web based.

Techie

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 02:26:58 AM »
Dronyon, take a look at this screenshot... everything is configured through avast! Mail Protection Wizard without any single problem... just run that tool in avast! directory and chechk options that you would like to be checked...

bikeman

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 09:28:22 PM »
Hi, here is the answer to your problem.

When you ran the mail protection wizard I bet you selected the choice 'automatically protect all my accounts' yes? Then you were asked for the smtp and pop3 details - if so the problem is that all your accounts use different smtp/pop3 details. By entering the details for one teh wizard changed all so now all but one of your accounts wont send/receive email. True?

Each email account must be set up manually!

To rectify run the wizard again.
Select automatically remove protection.
Your accounts will now all have the same smtp/pop3 settings.
Change them back to how they should be in outlook accounts preferences.
Run the wizard again and this time do each account manually with their individual smtp/pop3 settings.

Bit pants that the wizard can't deal with more than one account and I'm surprised one of the more 'experienced' couldn't tell you this.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2004, 10:37:28 PM »
bikeman wrote:
...and I'm surprised one of the more 'experienced' couldn't tell you this...

If you read carefuly our replies up there, you would see that it's already been suggested to run Mail Protection Wizard and check all options that he would like to be checked... in other words, it means that he should configure all accounts he would like avast! to cover...  ;)

Also, my friend Technical already suggested him to take a look at his signature link regarding configuring Hotmail account.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 10:40:59 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 11:16:48 PM »
Bit pants that the wizard can't deal with more than one account and I'm surprised one of the more 'experienced' couldn't tell you this.

Rubbish, when asked for the default SMTP and POP3 (in the MPW setup), it is exactly that, the default, not the one and only one.  

It is the same as the default email account in OE, the default, doesn't mean that you can't send or receive email from your other accounts.

I have 5 email accounts that I can send and receive email from and they were all setup by the Mail Protection Wizard and they all work without having to change/modify any settings.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 11:20:11 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 12:51:55 AM »
Totaly agree with you DavidR... it says Default POP3, not the only one that will be checked with avast. It would be so stupid to protect only one e-mail account and leave other accounts unprotected. That thing Alwil Software would never let happen...

bikeman

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 10:55:26 AM »
Yeah right all get on your high horses - the wizard may say default but on auto it actually sets up all of the accounts the same. Must be a bug. Try it.

S.Z.Craftec - read the post again - I never said it would only check one account I said it would use the default pop3/smtop setting on all accounts thererefore any that don't use the default can't send/receive mail.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 12:16:51 PM »
Yeah right all get on your high horses - the wizard may say default but on auto it actually sets up all of the accounts the same. Must be a bug. Try it.

No it doesn't, on the first auto run as you say ??? all my accounts worked sending and receiving email from ALL accounts, just as it was with OE before installation - To me that doesn't sound like a bug, when it works for me it sounds like the bug is the operator.

If you have a problem put it down in a post and we will do our best to help you, but please lose the attitude, this is a friendly forum.

S.Z.Craftec - read the post again - I never said it would only check one account I said it would use the default pop3/smtop setting on all accounts thererefore any that don't use the default can't send/receive mail.

I suggest that you read my post again.
I have 5 email accounts that I can send and receive email from and they were all setup by the Mail Protection Wizard and they all work without having to change/modify any settings.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bikeman

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 12:46:06 PM »
Ok so the wizard worked for you so maybe there is no bug - but maybe there is as it didn't work for me, and maybe it didn't work for dronyon either? Just maybe that's all - I highlight a problem I experienced and you dismiss it with the reply "Rubbish.." - maybe the attitude is actually closer to home.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 01:14:33 PM »
Actually Bikeman, you're the only one in this forum with attitude right now... we all try to speak nicely and calmed down...

This forum is meant to be as forum for helping each other and what's more important, as gathering for making new friendships. We all know how to do that and believe me it's very easy... just calm down, and try to speak nicely and not to jump all over some people with conclusions. All these people in this forum are avast! users, but also, we all are very good friends... unlike in some other forums. Everyone knows that this forum is the best !!! Period ! (actually that's exclamation point, but who cares  ;D )

Every single problem can be fixed and repaired, it just needs calm heads. Slow down, and everything will be OK... unless, you are one of those who visits forums like this one, just to make verbal fights... but I highly doubt that, and I believe you are good guy who just expressed himself in a wrong way...

DavidR and I, don't wanna fight against you and we don't wanna fight anyone in this forum either... we are here to help, so if you can help, stick around and everything will be just fine.

Regards !
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 01:15:38 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

welopez

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 06:01:44 PM »
I first installed AVAST many months ago, and liked it so much I upgraded to AVAST 4.1 Pro about 3 months ago.  Since doing so, I have had an extremely vexing problem with email and Outlook Express.  I have 5 POP3 accounts and one HTTP account.  I receive on all accounts with no problem.

I have two SMTP servers with five user names and passwords.  Sometimes, email sends with no problem.  An hour or two later, the email will not send.  Instead, I get a popup asking for user name and password.  I have made no changes.   I verify my user name and address, click OK, and seconds later the popup returns.  I switch to another account and the email goes fine, for awhile, then I have the same problem with that account.

I have scanned this topic in the forums and found several "possible cures," and tried just about all of them, from "protect all my accounts" to "manually configure."  I even tried "remove protection" only to find it had also removed my sent email files.

I have printed the email configuration from the help pages and checked off each step as I completed it, then rebooted.  I still have the same problem and am constantly switching from one account to another, or reconfiguring it in order to send email.

Is there any way to solve this dillemma?

Welopez@starband.net
Win XP Home
P4, 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM
Starband 2-way satellite modem
Zone Alarm Pro 5
AVAST Pro 4.1

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 06:41:03 PM »
Please look to file avast4\DATA\log\aswMaiSv.log to see what went wrong.

welopez

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 07:12:40 PM »
Okay, the log file says this....
06/25/04 08:36:18:   Started
06/25/04 08:36:18:   Build 4.1.418
06/25/04 08:36:18:   Using WinSock 2.0
06/25/04 08:36:18:   WSAAccept not loaded
06/25/04 08:36:19:   UseDefaultSmtp settings changed 0(0x00000000)
06/25/04 08:36:19:   POP Start settings changed: 1(0x00000001)
06/25/04 08:36:19:   POP Default server settings changed: mail.jbmailroom.com 110
06/25/04 08:36:19:   POP Listen settings changed: 127.0.0.1 110
06/25/04 08:36:19:   SMTP Start settings changed: 1(0x00000001)
06/25/04 08:36:19:   SMTP Default server settings changed: mail.jbmailroom.com 25
06/25/04 08:36:19:   SMTP Listen settings changed: 127.0.0.1 25
06/25/04 08:36:19:   IMAP Start settings changed: 1(0x00000001)
06/25/04 08:36:19:   IMAP Listen settings changed: 127.0.0.1 143
06/25/04 08:38:39:   Creating folder

As far as I can tell, everything should be alright, but what does the WSAAccept not loaded mean?  I just tried sending again, and one of 3 emails was sent with no trouble.  I thought the other two were sent, but have not received them yet.  Perhaps they took the long way around?

Thanks! :D