Author Topic: Starting Avast 2nd time crashes comp  (Read 2588 times)

crazy

Starting Avast 2nd time crashes comp
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:31:28 PM »
I have Avast Home 4.8 on Windows XP SP2

I right-clicked the Avast icon and selected 'Start Avast! Anti-virus' It opened succesfully, but after some minutes, I forgot I had already opened it and did the same thing (right-clicked the Avast icon and selected 'Start Avast! Anti-virus'). The computer crashed and re-booted. This computer is new and has never crashed before. I was wondering if its an issue with my computer or possibly a bug. (I cant try again on my comp, of course!)

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Starting Avast 2nd time crashes comp
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
I really doubt it is a bug on avast 4.8.
Which was your old antivirus, before avast?
Any firewall installed? Other security programs?
The best things in life are free.

crazy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »
There's no other anti-virus program installed now or before Avast (its a new computer)
It has Spybot (Avast and Spybot found no infectioins/viruses)
Firewall: default Windows firewall on the Internet connectoin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:28 PM »
Precisely to be new... isn't there anything from the factory?
Windows firewall and Spybot shouldn't interfere.

I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Insert the license key.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »
You must have had a BSD & auto rebooted in XP. You can disable auto restart by right clicking my computer selecting properties / advanced / system debuggin/ recovery/ settings uncheck auto restart. Reboot. Then you can see the parity stop error if it happens again!. Is the computer overheating! or could be ram issue! but as the computer is new unlikely. You really need to be on XP SP3 now though as lots of software fixes are out. Try a scan with anti malware program eg Spybot search and destroy. After that try repair of avast!