Author Topic: Symantec online and avast..  (Read 7901 times)

Tuna

Symantec online and avast..
« on: June 09, 2004, 06:19:57 AM »
    Hi,
I checked my pc with symantec security scan! It says everything normal but your antivirus product check at risk :
Description:
Checks for a current version of a commonly-used virus protection product.

Analysis:
WARNING! No known virus protection software found. This means your computer and data are vulnerable to virus attacks. Virus attacks can have serious consequences, including system damage and data loss.

Recommendation:
Install the latest version of a commonly-used virus protection product.

omg i dont understand coz i am using avast home edition and ???  :-\
any ideas guys??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Symantec online and avast..
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 06:33:11 AM »
Of course, Symantec do not 'recognize' the competitors as antivirus programs...

I want to ask the forum users if anybody here consider NAV as an antivirus  ;D

Tuna, do now worry about that... Wellcome to forums.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Kobra

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 06:42:14 AM »
Norton products are a joke, I can't believe people still get suckered into buying them.  

:o

NAMOR

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 09:13:47 AM »
WARNING! No known virus protection software found. This means your computer and data are vulnerable to virus attacks.

One word... MARKETING.... How can I trust an AV comapany that uses such deception tactics?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 01:48:56 PM »
WARNING! No known virus protection software found. This means your computer and data are vulnerable to virus attacks.

One word... MARKETING.... How can I trust an AV comapany that uses such deception tactics?

As NAMOR sayd. Its a simple marketing trick. They try to convience you that you're current antivirus program isn't a real antivirus program so you'd buy their (crappy) Norton Antivirus. Don't be fooled,use avast! and be truly protected. Kobra and myself (along other active users around here) assure you that avast! does the job way better than Norton so you don't have to worry about that test. Oh and if you wan't to use a good on-line antivirus,use HouseCall or Command On Demand(you can find both on my webpage) :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Tuna

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 04:15:13 PM »
oh well :P   :)  already i love avast who cares about stupid symantec :P

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 09:32:23 PM »
Command On Demand
Tuna very good scanner Command On Demand is. Uses the time tested F-Prot Engine and is very quick at scanning.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Waldo

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 09:48:46 PM »
Don't be tricked by Nortons's nasty commercial site.

Stick with Avast and your box will never get bloated like it will, with monster Norton  >:(

Waldo

Stephan123

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 02:16:55 PM »
yeah Norton is overloaded with tools and memory

Gillie2tat

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 10:34:28 PM »
And leaves so many bits of itself scattered through your registry that if you want to get rid of it properly you either have to go through for hours manually deleting every entry (dangerous if you don't know what something is) or completely reformat your puter.

I just left mine in place as there was nothing running in the Control-Alt-Delete screen from Nortons (sorry can't remember what that's called in XP), and Avast is just fine - I think my registry entries are just empty leftovers with no actual commands in them and I'm not experiencing any difficulties. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I was using Norton 2003 until an update started crashing my puter about three weeks ago, I had heard from Richard Dean of http://vu.org how good Avast was and changed at once.  A few days later Avast spotted a virus which none of the online scanners I used - Panda, Symantec and Trend - could find, and the programmers here rock the way they helped me sort it out ;D

« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 10:36:20 PM by Gillie2tat »