Author Topic: Zone Alarm  (Read 9493 times)

esmo

Zone Alarm
« on: June 17, 2004, 10:01:46 PM »
New user running XP Pro.  No other AV on my system.  My firewall (Zone Alarm)  does not recognize avast.  Is there a way to overcome this?  Also, while computer was running unattended I got a notification that a virus had been discovered, but the computer freezes and I must reboot thus losing whatever information there was in Avast.  I tried disabling the screen saver but this did not help.  Running a virus check showed no viruses.  Any help would be appreciated

niko

Re:Zone Alarm
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 10:57:26 PM »
Hi Esmo and welcome to Avast! forum !
I'm a new avast! user too so I hope this can help you:
Close all running applications (like Zonealarm) before installing avast!
@+

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 10:59:45 PM »
ZA doesn't recognise many AVs this is not the fault of avast but the fault of ZA. Many user are experiencing problems with this version. You will find similar post to this on these forums.

From a well respected newsletter I get.
Revert to ZoneAlarm 4.5
So many people are having early difficulties with ZoneAlarm 5.0 that I thought I'd pass along how to back out of ZA5. This information is the gist of a thoughtful post from Scot's Newsletter Forums moderator ChrisP. First, follow the instructions in this Zone Labs tech document for uninstalling the new version of the company's software. The 4.5 version of the ZoneAlarm firewall is the one I recommend until the dust settles. Here's a direct download link for ZoneAlarm 4.5  free for personal use. If you have the Pro version of 4.0 or 4.5, so much the better. I prefer the Pro versions of this maker's products.

Even though ZA doesn't recognise avast, that doesn't or shouldn't stop it working.

If you experience other problems you might consider reverting to V4.5 until the latest version becomes more stable.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 11:31:57 PM »
Maybe those guys from Zone Labs don't want their firewall to recognize antiviruses any more... just thought... why ?
'cause they have theior own antivirus integrated into ZoneAlarm...

Check here:
http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/tech/0,39006407,39180686,00.htm

Offline colincr

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 12:54:44 AM »
I downloaded Zone Alarm 5 and it crashed my computer.  Its not a very good update at all.  Lot of people had to reintall windows as well as older zone alarm.  Best thing to do is use zone alrm 4.5 or use another firewall.  Talking about firewalls, have you guys at avst ever thought about adding a firewall into your antivirus product?  Just wondering
Cheers
Oh check out forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs for other users probs

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 01:06:11 AM »
Colincr, Welcome to forums...

I'm affraid, actually I'm very happy, Alwil won't add firewall inside avast!, never... We really don't need avast! to become bloatware.

Just read Technical's reply in here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5259;start=msg38519#msg38519

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 02:59:55 AM »
If I were you I would switch firewalls ;)
I tried CA also and went back to avast and sygate.
I also tried McAfee,Norton,Panda,AVG,+PC-Cillan
and still came back to Avast! The others just don't stack up to avast.
-max

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 04:31:57 AM »
Esmo, it's a ZA fault... The company was sold to other one which sells antivirus applications. Never mind, I use ZA and avast!. Both working (even ZA do not recognize avast!).
Shame on ZA!  :(
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 04:36:36 AM »
Agnitum Outpost is so good that I don't have enough words to explain it... just try it and you won't uninstall it, that's for sure.

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 04:44:28 AM »
Huh? I have ZoneAlarm 4.5 and it has recognized avast! from my first download of avast! back in March.    :)  

Or ... do I misunderstand what all of you are meaning about recognize?    ???  

The new version of ZA most likely will not recognize avast! as per the reasons stated above.    :(  

I see this as the end of the ZA many have used and loved for many years. Dang stupid new owners!    >:(  

« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 04:49:13 AM by CharleyO »

Darren

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 04:46:40 AM »
Yeah...the new version of Zone Alarm is not good for alot of people. It even disables email virus scanning if you use NAV (but who would? we all know avast! is the best).
I use the old v2.1.5 of Kerio Personal Firewall with no problems.

softwareguy

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 05:01:35 AM »
ZoneAlarm does have quite good features in v5, but it seems it locks up my computer right after I install it, which is not a good thing.
Until the ZoneLabs guy fix it, sticking with 4.5 would be a good idea.

Looks like ZoneLabs isn't very far from me... Lets give em a visit. ;)

Sups Darren?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 06:09:20 AM by softwareguy »

edipoli

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 05:12:04 AM »
ZA 5.0 messed all my system also,I use NAV..It disabled scanning function of incoming & outgoing mails.
I uninstalled it & went back to ZA 4.5   All is ok now..

John-

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 03:43:31 PM »
I never "liked" Zonealarm cause many,...many and many sites promote it!  And frankly it ain't that good as they predict.  So I guess it is all bout marketing.

I used to have a lot of network problems and I had to flush my DNS regulary cause there was some conflict with my wireless router (with NAT firewall),...or something.

So now I am using Sygate Firewall,...on 3 different PC's on our home network and we don't seem to have problems with avast home edition (which we are running on all PC's aswell) and networking in general.

You can download sygate for free,...the pro edition is against payment.

greetz
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:15:08 AM by EverlastingGaze »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 08:31:20 PM »
I used to use Sygate myself... it never failed me. Wonderful firewall, so easy on system resources. I was just annoyed by asking me so many times to give permission for avast! update, even I gave permission 10 minutes ago... There are few long threads in this forums, where people reported that strange behaviour by Sygate... that was the only reason I uninstalled Sygate. If it wasn't for that little problem, I would probably still running Sygate on my machine...

Outpost is also great product, and it's also free (v1.0)

Regards !