Author Topic: Windows Update --> Will automatic mean even the optional updates?  (Read 6352 times)

spg SCOTT

Hi all :)

I just realised that my Windows Update is set to 'Download updates but let me choose when to install them'

As it turns out, I think I may want it this way, and hence my question:

Will having it set to automatically install updates, will it also install the so called 'Optional Updates' like silverlight and Office Live add-in?

If it does I don't really want to change it to auto, and installing manually is ok, since it tells me there are updates.

-Scott-

Hermite15

Re: Windows Update --> Will automatic mean even the optional updates?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »
auto only installs critical/important updates (including win defender updates), and doesn't install optional updates.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
auto only installs critical/important updates (including win defender updates), and doesn't install optional updates.

YES!! Thanks, I will change that then :)

Yay security centre is all GREEN

Do you also have the 'Recommended Updates' option ticked as well?

-Scott-

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »
recommended updates behave like the optional ones, won't be installed automatically; otherwise I got the other MS products ticked as well.

edit: after all, when ticked, they might install automatically, so yes I do have recommended updates ticked. They would be only suggested otherwise I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:15:18 PM by Logos »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:15:45 PM »
Ok, I'll leave that unchecked for now, and take a look at what it gives and see whether I will enable it later.

Thanks Logos :)

-Scott-

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
The only thing manual doesn't control is the Automatic Updater program itself which updates every couple of months. Don't be alarmed if this happens.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:41:57 PM »
Being on dial-up I have to be somewhat selective about updates, so I set windows update to notify but don't download. If I try to use the auto update process after selecting the ones to install it can take as long as three days before it is done updating.

So Having been notified of availability I usually visit the windows update page and select custom install, that also shows the optional/other updates otherwise you wouldn't get to know about them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »
yeah, I was wondering a second about your windows update page  ;D haven't been on XP for ages  ;)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »
I don't doubt that David, I guess you really don't like those 'Black Tuesday updates'

I never even really noticed this, and I have had the pc a while...at one point I think I was even wondering why the updates weren't being installed, and being new to vista I was a bit wary...

sometimes it was simply a case noticing that the standby button had become a shutdown and install updates button...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:00:53 PM by spg SCOTT »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
Some of them are absolutely huge and my problem is that on dial-up, whilst damn slow I also have a two hour kick off limit, were my connection is dropped. There is no restriction about reconnecting, but if this happens mid-update I haven't got a clue as to the potential damage that could do:
a) the particular KB being downloaded and or installed.
b) if it might have an impact on those already downloaded and installed...

It does make you do some planning and I have in the past had to do one batch of updates and then manually drop the connection, reconnect and visit windows update again to finish the rest.

So yes some of the patch Tuesdays can be a right royal pain in the rear.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »
off topic: @ david: can't you guys where you live do a petition or something to request that broadband would be implemented in your area? anything going on in this direction? Seriously, I would invest some of my time fighting with the local administration and the ISPs if I lived in such a place. There are some rare places near the area where I live stuck on a 1Mb connection, and this is already mad, but dial-up shouldn't even exist anymore. Find people who're as concerned as you are and do something. You're entitled to get broadband. Living in Britain in 2010 and be on dial-up is simply mad. On a side note, I know there are some areas like that in the US as well.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
Total waste of time, there is a government site for polls and on one there were over 250,000 votes and it was totally ignored.

Shouldn't exist is something that BT don't seem to grasp, whilst it isn't a Public company the government can't say resolve this sort out your decrepit antique infrastructure. Whilst they are updating to fibre optic this is going to take years and phase 1 or 2 (whichever) only deals with major city exchanges and the main backbone.

The problem is the distances from these enabled and non-enabled exchanges is the the end user is miles of copper cable. So we are stuck with the wait for another phase fibre optic to local cabinets, the point at which local lines are distributed.

This is going to take more time and much more money and money that the Government isn't prepared to pay. They are great at talking about the broadband age and everyone to be able to access it, but are pathetic on follow through. Their 'big idea' it to tax everyone with a phone as I mentioned earlier in another topic, to supposed pay for infrastructure.

Hermite15

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 01:32:33 AM »
they're rather slow with fiber optic in France too, although they claim the contrary  ;D , but anywhere, or mostly anywhere else, DSL is implemented, with the known issues you mentioned, copper cable length and distance etc...but that's better than dial-up. I know they're good at talking about broadband and access for everyone, our politicians are doing the same here  ::) are reality doesn't reflect their speech as usual, but they keep talking. The culprits are mainly the ISPs refusing the financial investments...hey for instance, they already know they can't request from the end user more money for a fiber optic connection than they do for a dsl one, so why build new networks... (ie the price is the same here, whether you get 1Mb or 100, you just get the maximum available bandwidth wherever you live).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 03:13:07 AM »
The UK problem is that that majority of ISPs actually get their connection from one of the main backbone providers and the biggest it BT. Unfortunately BT is responsible for the complete telephone infrastructure. Whilst there is supposed competition most get their services from BT.

Go Pack Go

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 04:51:05 AM »
off topic: On a side note, I know there are some areas like that in the US as well.

There are A LOT of places like that.  I'm in one of them atm.