Author Topic: Anyone noticed problems with the new Firefox 3.5.7 update  (Read 22934 times)

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
Re: Anyone noticed problems with the new Firefox 3.5.7 update
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 06:12:03 AM »
L
But like nmb, I must force to quite firefox.exe from task manager - what a pain. Thats why I only firefox when necessary, unless I use Opera.

Hello Cahya,

you got me wrong. ;) I will not force quit from taskman, instead FF takes a few extra seconds to shutdown completely. I only have to wait for a few secs..

Thanks
nmb

Hi nmb,

So we are here not only the ones who have the same problems :D

Regards,
Cahya.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Alan Baxter

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 07:18:47 AM »
No problem here, David.  Does the problem go away in Firefox -safe-mode?  If it goes away in safe mode, then it's probably caused by one of your extensions.  Maybe the extensions cache has become corrupted.
Corrupt extension files

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 04:15:38 PM »
I am using minefield and I am enjoying it.

The addons that I use are

Noscript
Adblock plus
Facebook dislike

I don't really need any other add on

@Polonus

I would be grateful if you can find me the release notes

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 05:17:57 PM »
No problem here, David.  Does the problem go away in Firefox -safe-mode?  If it goes away in safe mode, then it's probably caused by one of your extensions.  Maybe the extensions cache has become corrupted.
Corrupt extension files

I haven't had the problem today, sods law, but no add-on updates today.

All my add-ons appear to be working correctly, I don't particularly like using safe mode as it doesn't really find the problem, if you have 30 add-ons it wouldn't find if this was a conflict with a single one.

Also as polonus mentioned, some people are finding safe mode even less stable.

I will take a look at that corrupt extension page, thanks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 05:36:46 PM »
Well Sods Law at work again. Shortly after this post there was an update for adblock plus, so I lay in wait ready for the little sod ready to strike when I clicked restart firefox.

It was as good as gold, firefox closed immediately, the Task Manager entry closed in a few seconds as normal and the new firefox window opened. So its fingers crossed and monitor the future updates and click functions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alan Baxter

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »
It's great to hear Fx 3.5.7 is working well for you, David.  

I don't particularly like using safe mode as it doesn't really find the problem, if you have 30 add-ons it wouldn't find if this was a conflict with a single one.

Also as polonus mentioned, some people are finding safe mode even less stable.

I find that removing the extensions cache files is rarely necessary, but always safe.  It does have the side effect of enabling any disabled extensions and removing any of the compatibility updates.  After an extensions cache file cleanout, I need to click Find Updates in the Extensions Manager.  Compatibility updates doesn't need to download the extensions again.  It just downloads the low bandwidth compatibility information, which is stored in one of the extensions cache files.

You're right.  Firefox -safe-mode merely helps narrow the problem down.  It doesn't tell you which extension, theme, or setting is causing the problem.

I think Polonus may be mistaken about Firefox -safe-mode being problematic in Fx 3.5.7.  That would have been all over Mozillazine and the other Firefox support forums by now if it were the case.  Any reports like that are usually caused by the user having other problems which aren't eliminated by safe mode.  I've never heard of a situation where safe mode caused problems.  I doubt greatly that that's the case now.

Hermite15

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »
just noticed, see the screen shot  ;D...otherwise I got no issues here, I mean just the usual memory leaks I got with FF since 3.56...I can't check with extension updates as the last one I think was NS, and that was before I updated to 3.57.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
Yes a bit of a mystery, yesterday it was all over the place, today no hiccups, I hate intermittent faults ;D

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 10:33:21 PM »
Yes a bit of a mystery, yesterday it was all over the place, today no hiccups, I hate intermittent faults ;D

David,

In my Firefox is the same, the problem doesn't occur every time I use Firefox on Windows, but there is a higher risk the problem occurs if I do some multimedia browsing or start to access multimedia (mostly picture) with my Firefox browser (e.g., If I upload any images to web from my local harddisk using Firefox - the incidence would mostly happen compare I only use Firefox to browse simple web page like this forum). 
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

gdiloren

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 10:57:17 PM »
I don't know if it is related. My only issue is with Dr.Web Antivirus Link scanner. It doesn't uninstall (except in safe mode!) :D, disable or work at all. I have this error message:
The connection has timed out
The server at online.us.drweb.com is taking too long to respond.

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
          moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
 ???
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:10:20 PM by gdiloren »

Hermite15

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
yeah...I think  had this kind of problems too in FF yesterday evening, it's OK now...will post that on MozillaZine later...also got some pages loading improperly, in a sort of text view, with no rendering of HTML stuff, had to reload the pages to view them normally.

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
just an example here (screen shots), it happened again just now, how the page loads first, and how it loads properly then...see next post, files were too big.

Hermite15

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 11:20:38 AM »
how it should have loaded...also many pages are not loading at all on the first attempt.
see my post here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1687215&start=0
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:30:06 AM by Logos »

Hermite15

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 11:59:17 AM »
another example with CNN...NoScript, AdblockPlus and customizegoogle disabled...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »
I had to manually install Firefox. The build in updater hanged and firefox was running in background. Starting the browser again does not get the update. The full setup worked like a charm. This happened in the past more than once for me.
The best things in life are free.