Author Topic: Why took so long with this program on Internet and other programs too?  (Read 2358 times)

jpmackay

I was not too thrilled with this program, Avast Anti virus free edition on my laptop. I noticed every time I clicked the icon, " Mozilla Firefox " and took more time than I expected to show up on my screen. My program of Firefox have the latest version also yours too with every update it installed automatically. So I decided to turn off Avast Anti Virus to see if Firefox load up faster and it is. But I don't want to leave unattended to run the laptop because of all the viruses around. Is there a way for me to make my program of Avast Anti Virus to load quicker not slow like at the most about 45 seconds to 2 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

John  >:(  :(  :o  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why took so long with this program on Internet and other programs too?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:30:01 AM »
Of course it would load faster, have you any idea just how many files firefox loads when it starts a lot, more so if you have many, many add-ons (how many add-ons do you have ?).

For me I can't remember how long firefox took to load as I have had avast for almost 6 years and it is always on. My firefox loads in about 8 seconds, so what are your system specifications, CPU, RAM, OS, etc. ?

I turn on firefox once at the start of the day and leave it on until I shutdown my system at night. So that may be an option if you are turning it of after each browsing session.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:39:20 AM »
Firefox starts slowly, depending on the number of extensions you got. But I never noticed that any AV, including avast, would make start even slower, doesn't make any difference.

jpmackay

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:25:15 AM »
Ok here is my information about the laptop.

Compaq Presario M2105CA with AMD Sempron 2800+ 796 MHz, 1 GB Memory, 40 GB hard drive, ATI Rage XPRESS 200M (128MB), Microsoft XP Professional SP-3 with all updates up to today's date. I noticed that ATI Catalyst Control Centre takes more time to upload too beside other programs that I have.

The programs that I have in my laptop:

Avast Anti Virus (freeware program) with all updates

Lavasoft Ad-Aware (freeware program) with all updates

ATI Catalyst Control Centre with Mobility Modder

Mozilla Firefox with no Add-ons

Microsoft Internet Explorer

Microsoft Office 2003

I don't use e-mail on my laptop.

Hope that will help you with this about why the startup takes time?

Thank you again,

John

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:52:48 AM »
So what was your AV before avast ?
As this is could be an issue with conflict slowing the system as your system whilst no speed freek should be well up to the task.

You didn't say how many add-ons you have installed on firefox ?
You also didn't say how long firefox took to load before avast ?
Also do you have firefox load automatically on boot ?

avast is relatively fast at scanning (av-comparatives has it as 'very fast' in its recent tests) and light on resources compared to many other AVs. So your problem is very strange or we would be having lots of posts about this on the forums and we just aren't seeing them. Not that we don't believe you have a problem, just that it is likely to have other things in the mix.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security