Author Topic: "Oops...was that important?" Please help.  (Read 4033 times)

macmomma08

"Oops...was that important?" Please help.
« on: January 04, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »
I installed Avast on my mother's computer the other day. She is running 32bit XP Service Pack 3.

She scanned the computer, and 1 thing came up as Unscannable. She deleted it.

The computer seems to be running fine, however I am not sure if she should have deleted this file, or how I can find out what it was that she deleted.

She said it had a long name with lots of numbers and letters and was in a folder called "Software Distribution".

Does Avast keep a record of what it deletes? I just don't know what the file was or if it was important. The computer appears to be working okay, should I be worried?

Is there a test I can do to make sure it has all it's important folders?

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Oops...was that important?" Please help.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »
A mistake, deletion is never (IMHO) a good first action as you have none left. The list of files that couldn't be scanned isn't retained after the list is closed or you close the Simple User Interface in the avast Home version. So it isn't possible to find out what files were listed and even then there would be no record of which file your mother chose to delete.

If you get hold of a file recovery program (earlier the better) then it may be possible to recover the deleted file as it isn't gone, just the reference to it in the file table. But the space it occupies is marked as free in the table so may get overwritten, which is why the sooner you run these kind of tools the better.

- Recuva Deleted File Recovery application - http://www.recuva.com/, also see Builds, http://www.recuva.com/download/builds as the Portable version would help as it doesn't have to be installed and the slim version if you don't like toolbars.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:49:10 PM »
Xp Windows file software distribution is a store place for windows updates within windows update.

macmomma08

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »
Hi all

Sorry I don't have a list of the file names. When I get home I can take a look and screenshot the folder, it was in. However I don't know the actual file she deleted.

Although, my friend pointed out to me that if windows was using it at the time it wouldn't have let her delete it, so that's good at least.

Bobo, if it is for Windows Updates then that means I probably need to just check for windows updates and it should replace it right?

Thanks all!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:47:24 PM »
How do you know what to replace if you don't know what is missing.

Get on and use the Recuva tool and look for files deleted in the rough time frame of the deletion, compare that information with what you know. I don't know if in the listing of deleted files that recuva finds if it is able to give the original location, though I would hope so as I don't know how they would be recovered to the correct folder. The longer you leave this the less likely the chance of recovery.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

macmomma08

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:59:12 PM »
Thank you for your help David.

Actually, what I was asking Bobo was if he knows if the Software Distribution folder is exclusively for Windows Updates, because if so, then it seems to me running windows update will show me which update she is missing.

Thank you for recommending the recovery program, I will look into it.

At least I know it can't have been a vital system file, since she said it is still working. A friend of mine told me to check the recycle bin too, in case Avast just moved it there, so I'm going to call her and ask her not to empty it until I can take a look.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
You're welcome.

bobo1

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »
Try running windows update within IE8 OR IE7 under Tools Tab to see if it runs. If it runs ok then the software distibution folder will re put windows update download files in it and then automatically install updates depending what settings are chosen. Mine is set to Auto install.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:16:20 PM »
This is still great that her system was not damaged :)
Never delete something until you are sure of it,if not sure come to ask!

I am also included among noobs before all my computer disasters were caused just because I delete an important file ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
CCleaner safely cleans out the files in the Software Distribution Folder:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds <== select Slim for no Yahoo toolbar