Author Topic: JS:Pdfka-US [Expl] in Virus Chest  (Read 10006 times)

ch3952

JS:Pdfka-US [Expl] in Virus Chest
« on: January 08, 2010, 06:29:27 AM »
I went to a website today and right when the page loaded up I recieved the avast banner saying malware found and then gave the box option to move it to the chest, which is what I did. This malware/virus (not sure what it is) is still in my virus chest. When I open up the virus chest, it's under the name "plugin-ChangeLog.pdf", the location is C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\plugtmp. And under virus is says, JS:Pdfka-US [Expl]. 

I have no idea what to do now. I want to delete it but I'm not sure where it will go. I don't want to open anything up or log into anything because I'm not sure what's on my computer now. When I did an avast thorough scan, nothing popped up. I did a MBAM scan and nothing came up. I also did a hijackthis log.

What do I do? How inconvenient of this, I have a paper due in the morning that I have to EMAIL in.   :-\

Help.

YoKenny

Re: JS:Pdfka-US [Expl] in Virus Chest
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 06:45:57 AM »
Welcome

A lot of websites are infected today and please read:
http://www.scmagazineus.com/every-36-seconds-a-website-is-infected/article/140414

Leave the infection in the chest but do not go back to that website.

Get CCleaner to clean out the Temp Folders:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds <== get the Slim version with no Yahoo toolbar

Instal then run it and let it clean out what it finds.

ch3952

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:58:36 AM »
That's it?  ??? Just delete my temp folder with CCleaner? Is it ok to restart my computer and use the internet afterwards?

ch3952

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:03:43 AM »
How long will the infection stay on my computer? There is no other way to delete it off my computer?

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »
How long will the infection stay on my computer? There is no other way to delete it off my computer?

As long as you clean it out?
Have you did boot time scan with avast?
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

ch3952

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:42:59 PM »
No, I have not done a boot time scan with Avast yet. I don't know how and I don't know what other steps to take. YoKenny up there has given me the solution of keeping the virus in my virus chest and then cleaning out my temp files with CCleaner, (which I already had and use often). Leaving it in my virus chest leaves me unsettled. I want to know how to delete it safely, if I can. None of my other scanners are catching it, such as MBAM but I am assuming that's only because it's stored in my avast virus chest.

What to do?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »
malware found and then gave the box option to move it to the chest, which is what I did.
What do I do?
nothing, avast have taken care of it and moved it to the chest ( virus prison ) leave it in there for a month and delete

When I did an avast thorough scan, nothing popped up. I did a MBAM scan and nothing came up.
you are probably safe and clean

it will stay in chest till you delete it, there is no danger when it is in the chest, that is what the chest is for, a virus prison

No, I have not done a boot time scan with Avast yet. I don't know how
Boot time Avast Antivirus Scanning http://www.digitalred.com/avast-boot-time.php
you only have to do this if you have an infection that avast have problem removing

None of my other scanners are catching it, such as MBAM but I am assuming that's only because it's stored in my avast virus chest.
No program have access to the chest, only Avast and you

ch3952

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 05:46:21 AM »
Thank you for the information. I ran the boot time avast scan and it came out clean, well my computer started normally without any messages.

When I wait to delete the file in my chest, where does it go? Is it normally a month for most of the files and is that how long it takes Avast to figure out how to repair/delete them without any harm to the computer?

I am sorry for all the questions but I am curious. I looked at all the viruses and malware that has come up within the past couple of days and this was a big one.

Weird.

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »

When I wait to delete the file in my chest, where does it go?

It goes POOF!      In other words, it is completely erased.

Is it normally a month for most of the files and is that how long it takes Avast to figure out how to repair/delete them without any harm to the computer?

No, this is incorrect. Avast already knows how to delete them as that is part of the Chest function.
The wait time is to be sure that they are not critical files needed for the operation of your computer. Not every function nor program is used on your computer everyday and some functions/programs may not be used for weeks.

Edit to correct typos.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:07:47 AM by CharleyO »

ch3952

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
Thanks CharleyO for the explanation. It makes a whole lot of sense now. And thanks to all above for the information and help as well.  :)

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:18:10 PM »

You are most welcome to the help and a belated welcome to the forums, ch3952.   :)

Please come back often and learn more.