Author Topic: Cannot download avast 4 home to laptop  (Read 4162 times)

Katrinka

Cannot download avast 4 home to laptop
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:32:52 AM »
Tried to post once, but don't think it went.  Anyway, I have avast home on my PC and have tried downloading program to my laptop but it will not go.  I'm on a very slow dial-up (26.4 kbps) and that is why avast was recommended to me as I was told they make provision for people still on slow dial-up.  Anyway, it says it is going to take 11 hours to download the program, but it downloads for 3 or 4 hours and then there is an error message stating I have to clear my internet cache (which I do) and restart, but it still won't finish downloading.  It also occasionally says the internet connection was reset (I suppose so after 4 or 5 hours it would be possible).  Is there a setting I can change or someway to get this onto my laptop?  It took a while to get it finished on my PC also, but it did eventually download.  It doesn't save the download, either, I have to always start over.  Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.  Been trying to do this for 2 days now.  Thanks so much . . .

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
Re: Cannot download avast 4 home to laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
Katrinka,

Have you tried to download using any download manager (e.g Orbit Downloader)? Since if you get time up in the middle of downloading, you can resume it again later with it - and not start over and over when it fail to download.

Try different source of file "setung_eng.exe" - CMIIW, from avast.com, download.com or from filehippo.com

May this help you :)
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:02:22 AM »
Hi,
Depends what your modem speed is in kb per second. As you are on dial up big files can take hours. If your phone line is noisy then the internet modem connection can drop out. Have you got a freind that is on broadband that you can get the avast setup file & save onto a usb stick?

Katrinka

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »
Hello bobo1 and Cahya, I had tried a download manager in the past, but tech support for my paid-off AV software said it was the cause of my AV software not functioning properly, so I uninstalled.  I eventually had to discontinue using paid-for AV software (been with that company for 10 years!) as I was advised most of them cannot be properly downloaded on such a slow dial-up speed.  I am new to this area and this internet is what I have right now.  I have installed and am trying orbit, which is the best I have used so far.  And the only download site that will work is filehippo.com.  Even so, so far, it will only download 25% and then keeps stating download has failed.  It is (thanks to orbit download mgr) still at 25% so at least I do not have to start over . . . it's a new day, so I will try it again today.   Thanks for all your help  :)

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:57:52 PM »
Katrinka,

I always use download manager for all my downloaded software as long the server permitted to use it - like filehippo. Don't worry, I use internet on 56-64 kpbs - still slow speed. My download speed only took 1-3 kbps, so take along time to download avast, but at the end I got the whole intact .exe file safely - even took the entire day(s) :D

I don't think avast would crash because we use download manager to download it, if some AV's tech said so - it is a little bit funny statement they've mad.

Regards,
Cahya.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

norel

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:48:53 AM »
Orbit's pretty good and so is Free Download manager but it seemed a little more complicated, to me anyway.

You can try different Websites and different downloaders, or sometimes I have better luck late at night/early morning. But if you can, bobo1's suggestion of a USB memory stick is the best way to go (or CD ROM). Most public libraries have high-speed internet if you don't know anyone who has it. They won't allow installing, but you should be able to download and save it.

Good luck. :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:51:44 AM by norel »

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:12:44 AM »
I had tried a download manager in the past, but tech support for my paid-off AV software said it was the cause of my AV software not functioning properly, so I uninstalled.  I eventually had to discontinue using paid-for AV software (been with that company for 10 years!) as I was advised most of them cannot be properly downloaded on such a slow dial-up speed.

Hi...

I think dial-up is in the process of being phased out. With today's content, it's just no longer efficient or practical. Is there a possibility of getting DSL or cable (or even Clearwire) where you now live?

May God bless you :)