Author Topic: How do I stop Avast processes?  (Read 35073 times)

S-100

How do I stop Avast processes?
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:05:40 AM »
I unclicked the Avast tray in start-up, but the processes related to Avast are still running. How do I turn them off?  ???

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: How do I stop Avast processes?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:20:27 AM »
In short; you don't, unless you want to uninstall the program.

If you explain your reason for wanting to do this, we might have some ideas or workarounds.
But generally, the only reason one would turn their AV off is if they want to become infected.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

S-100

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »
Okay, uninstall it is. Goodbye.  >:(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:34:34 AM »
You seem not to want help with whatever issue you're having.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

norel

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:43:34 AM »
You shouldn't have to completely uninstall. For basic troubleshooting you can stop avast! from running at startup, but first you have to turn off the self-defense module: Right click avast! icon>Program Settings>Troubleshooting>Check 'Disable avast! self-defense module'.

In Windows, all the other related services can be stopped and started with the services utility (services.msc).

greenman-23

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:46:57 AM »
thanks Tarq57,

you convinced me "In short; you don't, unless you want to uninstall the program.

If you explain your reason for wanting to do this, we might have some ideas or workarounds.
But generally, the only reason one would turn their AV off is if they want to become infected."

why should one need to give you a reason? the question is simple and once so was the task.

I came here because having done a re-install and update of system and programs I too discovered that turning Avast off was no longer simple... FYI Targ I do a lot of work on my PC that requires no internet nor external drives to be added (you see I come from the pre-internet generation.. the ones that did some work on their PC's) and often for long periods.. so I need a process hogging anti- virus like a nun needs a condom.

Furthermore it's my PC.. I decide what programs run and if I decide to run without virus protection.. that's my decision and Avasts...

anyway gotta go... look for a more user friendly anti-virus...

regards

gm23

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:21:58 AM »
thanks Tarq57,

you convinced me "In short; you don't, unless you want to uninstall the program.

But generally, the only reason one would turn their AV off is if they want to become infected."

why should one need to give you a reason? the question is simple and once so was the task.

I came here because having done a re-install and update of system and programs I too discovered that turning Avast off was no longer simple... FYI Targ I do a lot of work on my PC that requires no internet nor external drives to be added (you see I come from the pre-internet generation.. the ones that did some work on their PC's) and often for long periods.. so I need a process hogging anti- virus like a nun needs a condom.

Furthermore it's my PC.. I decide what programs run and if I decide to run without virus protection.. that's my decision and Avasts...

anyway gotta go... look for a more user friendly anti-virus...

regards

gm23
Bye bye
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »
Decided to post to this thread, not so much in order to justify my earlier posts to someone who appeared to join the forum for the purpose of having a bit of a rant, but for the possible benefit of anyone else who might read this, and wonder what is at play.

The Avast service runs at start, by default.
So do those for many other security programs. In some cases, even those that do not run resident.
It is quite possible to stop them; see norel's post above.

When a forum member whose experience/ability level I have no knowledge of asks this sort of question (or any question, really,) my default is to firstly do no harm. Or rather, to not post information that could end up being damaging, without a few more facts.

I have seen cases of users wanting to disable their AV's because a file a "friend" sent them via MSN (or similar) won't run. Often the file is something along the lines of a free software version of a game or program that usually costs $$, or a sex tape made by the boyfriend of whatever starlets' star is rising at the time. (In case it's not obvious, such files usually come with a malicious payload. Plus you don't get to see the sex-tape.)

Some readers may form the view that this is a type of censorship. Maybe it is. But before posting the recipe for disaster I want to make sure the user is informed of the risks. It is not a voyeuristic curiosity. I don't care (personally) about whatever the reason is. Knowing there is a reason is enough to provide the information requested, along with an alternative idea (if there happens to be a better workaround) or any caveats indicated.

In the case of greenman-23, clearly the user has a pretty good idea what they are doing, and why. (That he/she appeared to join the forum just to rant about my post simply gets me wondering where that attitude came from, but not overly much. There are tossers everywhere. It can't always be explained.)

That isn't always the case. All I know from the OP is that he/she has had a virus problem in the past.

I'm not about to change that stance; I think it would be irresponsible to do so.

greenman-23

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
Firstly… let me just clarify…

I came to this thread as a consequence of being unable to turn off Avast through the normal channels.

And yes it is possible to shut it down.. but not quite as norel described and only using administrative rights and having to go through several menus. Furthermore whilst Avast appears to stop for the session on restarting the PC the program starts back up!

And what????    >>When a forum member whose experience/ability level I have no knowledge of asks this sort of question (or any question, really,) my default is to firstly do no harm.<<

Well Tarq or should I call you Mr Hypocrisies “Do no Harm” you assume the level of knowledge (on the basis of a single question?) is low and give an answer accordingly rather than simply answering the question and adding a warning …?? The arrogance… get off your horse!! 

>>I have seen cases of users wanting to disable their AV's because a file a "friend" sent them via MSN (or similar) won't run. Often the file is something along the lines of a free software version of a game or program that usually costs $$, or a sex tape made by the boyfriend of whatever starlets' star is rising at the time. (In case it's not obvious, such files usually come with a malicious payload. Plus you don't get to see the sex-tape.)<<

Well more fool them…. Particularly since the AV they are using will be barking like a dog if the file is suspicious

>>Some readers may form the view that this is a type of censorship. Maybe it is.<<

No it’s dictatorship actually, Avast dictating that once installed it is in charge.

And >>before posting the recipe for disaster I want to make sure the user is informed of the risks.<<

Ah that explains your initial advice to the original poster then >> In short; you don't, unless you want to uninstall the program.<<

That will do no harm Tarq!

>>In the case of greenman-23, clearly the user has a pretty good idea what they are doing, and why.<<

Whether I do or don’t is not your concern Tarq! My reasons for wanting to suspend Avast rather than uninstall it are my business not your’s or Avasts..

My reasons for searching out this thread are very simple and most clear to any normal person… “I COULD NOT TURN AVAST OFF” . it is afterall a non-system application. It is not required by the PC and to all intent and purpose is non-essential … BUT THEN I READ YOUR ARAGONT POST AND THOUGHT IF THIS IS Avasts response then bye bye Avast … come back AVG (despite your annoying barking) …

Sorry but to all of you at Avast.. if this is how you now build your program and your attitude to the people you want to use it well… frankly it sucks and you can keep it and no doubt in a few more years you will be as memorable as Zone Alarm.

Regards

Gm23
(no longer an Avast user, no longer a member of this forum)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
Your view of antivirus applications is... erm, let's say "interesting".
Is it a non-system application? Sure, it's not a part of the operating system per se, but since it should provide a real-time protection, it certainly has to install drivers, hook specific operation... i.e. embed itself quite deep into the OS - there's no other way.

You don't like that it's hard to kill? Well, enjoy an antivirus that is easy to kill... but keep in mind that if you can easily kill it, any piece of malware can do the same. There is a way to stop the processes, just as norel described, and sure, it only lasts for the current session. If you don't want the processes to run even after that, uninstallation is the correct choice (yes, you could disable the service and remove avast! GUI from the autostart key, but since the scanning is done inside of the service, it has to be running - so I don't see a point in having an antivirus installed that cannot scan anyway).

Regarding the questions about the reason - many people ask about stopping the antivirus just because some strange installer asks them to. Not only is this unnecessary (no idea why so many installers still show such a notice - there's absolutely no need for such a thing), but it's also very dangerous (if I were a malware author, I'd certaly include a message "please turn of your antivirus and any running programs for correct installation"). So yes, it's good to know why the poster asks for such a thing, because the reasons are usually wrong.

Now, since you say you don't use avast! anymore, and since you revived a pretty old thread anyway... thread closed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:16:37 PM by igor »