Author Topic: Access denied when trying to enable Avast  (Read 3033 times)

Panhead

Access denied when trying to enable Avast
« on: January 12, 2010, 02:07:19 AM »
I have a fresh set of windows. I'm running windows FW and Avast. I have had problems trying to install OutPost Pro. Each time I have to disable Avast for this. The last time I tried when I went to enable Avast, it said "Access denied".

Is it because I disabled it too many times trying to install OP? Thank god I had another snapshot to boot to or I would be stuck. Why does this happen? This worrys me if I try again it will do this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Access denied when trying to enable Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:22:44 AM »
Why do you have to disable avast to install Outpost Pro, I have never been asked to do that by Outpost, nor had to do that ?

Outpost pro will detect avast and say that you should disable the Outpost Pro's anti-spyware function for compatibility (as it knows that avast has an anti-spyware incorporated), but not a word about disabling avast to install Outpost.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Panhead

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:28:47 AM »
I do that to minimize any problems. Yes, I know it detects it but that does not answer my question.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:08 AM »
If I don't know what the reason is for having to disable avast I can't really say why it is happening. We ask questions to try and get a better understanding of what the problem is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Panhead

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 05:48:54 AM »
A lot of times Avast mess's with the temp file being written to during a install. It took me some time to figure out why my chipset driver (amongst others) would always be messed up. So when I disbled Avast this didn't happen anymore. So I would rather disble it rather than install windows again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »
avast doesn't mess with anything, it simply scans and alerts to infection and I presume that you don't get an avast alert ?

If there is any apparent 'messing' as you say, it is likely to be conflict but not with Outpost, but a possible conflict between another security application and avast. Two security applications (AVs) can lock files whilst they are scanned and that can be the same as two dogs fighting over a bone, conflict.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed and running, anti-spyware, etc. ?