Author Topic: manually replacing 400.vps file  (Read 10157 times)

simonrack

manually replacing 400.vps file
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
I am running Avast 4.8 Home Edition on Windows XP on a machine without an internet connection. So to update the virus definitions, I have copied the latest 400.vps file from another machine which does have internet connection and updates automatically.

But I cannot replace or delete the old 400.vps file, which is in a folder called Avast/DATA. The error message says 'Cannot delete 400: Access is denied.'

(I have tried to change the properties of the file and the folder to make it possible to read and write but with no effect. Likewise I have tried to turn off Avast antivirus by stopping on-access protection, but again to no effect)

I assume that I am doing something stupid and that there must be a really easy answer to this, but I have searched all through the program settings, the help files, FAQs and this forum and I still cannot find it. So I am posting this message as a last resort and hoping that someone will excuse my ignorance and help me out.

Thanks,
Simon.

spg SCOTT

Re: manually replacing 400.vps file
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:23:41 PM »
Hi simonrack, welcome to the forum :)

The access denied error is a result of the self protection module of avast!.
To transfer the 400.vps, what you need to do is disable it temporarily:

right click the avast! tray icon --> program settings --> 'Troubleshooting' tab --> Check 'Disable avast! self-defense module'

This should allow you to replace the file.

More detailed info:

avast! VPS Update - Manual Download - For updating an off-line systems, download using a system with internet connection, save the file to a CD or USB drive and transfer it to the off-line system and run it to update the VPS signatures file.

- Work around for off-line Incremental VPS update assuming you have an on-line system with avast installed and up to date:

The quote below works, tested on off line system requires a reboot for the WSC to also recognise the updated VPS. However, you would need to disable the avast self-defence module, Program Settings, Troubleshooting, to be able to replace the files. I found that you only needed to transfer the 400.vps file.

Ok, i tested exactly what i suggested and it appears it works. I've used old installation from May 2008 in virtual machine. Copied 400.vps and clnr0.dll from host system to VM system and avast! showed signature date identical to the one on host system. And that even without system reboot. Now i don't know if everything works as it suppose to but it seems to be a good start.

-Scott-

simonrack

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 04:46:52 PM »
Scott.
Thank you so much for an answer that:
-I could understand
-I could follow
-Accurately identified my problem
-Fixed it.

I realise it must have seemed obvious to you, but it has been a real hassle for us for ages, and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me,
Simon.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »
You are very welcome, glad to help :)

-Scott-

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »
Don't forget the "temporarily" part of the advice -- make sure you re-enable self-protection (by un-ticking the same item) when you're done updating.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »
You're welcome :)

Welcome to the forum.

-Scott-

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
Hmmm ... Thanks from me too, Scott, I've been doing it the long way around for my wife's computer, which doesn't (yet) have internet access.

I've been downloading that exe installer for the full defs database once a month or so, copying it over to her machine and then running it there. It's very nearly the same size as the 400.vps, 30 megs +/-, but if the latter is really the only file that needs updated I might just as well eliminate the download and copy mine over.

Sooner or later we'll get her on internet, and then of course she'll have auto updates.  We're still trying to figure out how to connect her system (upstairs) to my router-modem ... mine's not wireless, and routing a cable would (a) be a nightmare and (b) probably be pushing the practical limit for length of an ethernet connection.  And because this building has steel plates inside most walls and ceilings (for fire protection), I'm skeptical whether switching to wireless would work properly.

(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:35 PM »
Mike, Igor said in the past that the installer (vpsupd.exe) has a little more than only the 400.vps.
Could be updates, could be refresh involved.
At least, boot the computer or stop/restart the providers.
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »
You're welcome too Mike, although it is just something I nicked from somewhere in the the forum :)

Yes, this option would save you downloading the whole new file every time.

That sounds like a bit of a nightmare with the connections...we recently had a similar issue...We had a phone line extension to the router that was miles long and caused the connection to drop to virtually nothing, because the phone port and pc were in a different room...after some discussions with our ISP it turned out that the best option was to move the router closer and use longer ethernet cables. So now I have both my pc  and my xbox connected by a 10m ethernet cable through a wall with pretty much no drop in connection 8)
So if you were going to wire it, I would go with ethernet cables (which I imagine you would anyway from your post) and yes wireless seems a bit dubious, with the metal...I've experienced issues with metal nearby interfering with connections...

Maybe you could find someone who has a wireless router you could test to see whether there is interferance?
Otherwise I imagine it will have to be wired...

-Scott-

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »
Another connection option, if it would work of course, is to simply get her her own router-modem to connect to my account via an existing convenient phone jack up there (same phone line), and make sure we coordinate things so only one of us is online at any given time.  Since we wouldn't be on the same LAN that way, we'd lose the ability to share or transfer files except with a flash drive, which is what I use now for that purpose anyway.  (My goodness, have I hijacked another thread??  :-[ )