Author Topic: AV scans  (Read 5385 times)

ts4putt

AV scans
« on: January 12, 2010, 03:35:46 AM »
Hi,I'm new to Avast and for scan I select  my computer and my documents  ( all checks that can be checked). It scans about 57,000 files. All other AV's I've used scans about 130,000 items. Am I not doing something.  Also no log is made of scan.Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AV scans
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
Are you using avast Server? Not? So the thread belongs to other forum.
If you do not scan archive files (zip, arj, etc.), the number of scanned files will decrease for sure.
The best things in life are free.

ts4putt

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:58:33 PM »
I apologize I clicked on the wrong one. I would move it if I knew how. Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:33:52 PM »
I apologize I clicked on the wrong one. I would move it if I knew how. Thanks
Only Moderators could move. Don't worry.
Do you need further help?
The best things in life are free.

ts4putt

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:32:16 AM »
No, I found out I had to check scan archive files. Hard to find on the radio. Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:52:48 AM »
Now you have found it, I would leave that option unchecked ;D

Also if you are using Thorough I would suggest after your first scan to drop that to Standard.

Thorough is also by its design very thorough (it scans all files) and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security