Author Topic: Scans and Reports  (Read 4187 times)

ckiwi

Scans and Reports
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:26:21 AM »
Avast 4.8 Home Edition-Vista
Hi again. I have the same problem someone else had July 30, 2009 about scan freezing. Had not done that before I got rid of the "process can not be scanned as it is being used by another process" (ring a bell, but sorry, u get many ?) On a Quick scan it does not freeze as I just did one, but on the Through scan, it has been stopping/freezing at 58%, and yes same as 3 times before. As you asked the other person, yes I can move the mouse and get report. It has stopped at, D Windows-PC /.../root.img. To double check I will do Through scan tonight. It seems to have stopped there since I got a report saying every think is OK. But also, now, the report is huge. 1/4 inch scroll at top (make sence) it is huge. Also, on the one report, I think from boot scan, it only had the " decompressed bomb" thing on it. Now there is many entries saying "Archive is password protected" and i had and have the "Archive checked" Sorry if this is many questions, I am not computer savy and they used to scare me, so maybe take one thing at a slow time lol. God, 51 and I just got my first cell phone from one of my kids and they laugh at me, when i ask them things about it. Please be gentle.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Scans and Reports
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.
There are many legitimate reasons why a file was password protected. For instance, Lavasoft Ad-aware and SpyBot store their data in a password-protected ZIP archives (to prevent other similar tools from messing up with them). It's really nothing to worry about - it's normal.

In AdAware and S&D, when you fix/remove things it keeps backup/recovery information so you can restore anything that was mistakenly fixed/removed, etc. After a reasonable time your system has suffered no adverse effects, you can get rid of the older recovery/backup points. This should reduce the number of protected files.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Also, the packaging of the file could have some error, or use a non-standard pattern...

Last but not least, is the scanning still freezing in your computer now?
The best things in life are free.

ckiwi

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:31:27 PM »
So sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I did boot scan, through scan after I unchecked the "archive" and all is fine. Through scan did not freeze at the 58%. Can not remember which one boot/through scan that the white page saying "access denied", never came up. Did unchecking the "archive" box, have any thing to do with this? Just one more thing, why is the report so huge? And I do have the over write checked.

Thanks, ckiwi

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 01:46:50 AM »
Did you check the "ok" files to be reported? If so, the report will be really huge, all files in your computer.
But nothing to worry that much if you check "overwrite". Avast also allows log file size restriction into its settings.
The best things in life are free.

ckiwi

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:38:03 PM »
 Hi, sorry not to get back to you in a timely fashion. I did have almost every thing checked in the settings-report file. Now I have just task start/stop, hard errors and infected files. Is that OK? Now the report is:

avast! Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Task 'Simple user interface' used
* Started on January-17-10 9:39:05 PM
* VPS: 100117-1, 17/01/2010

Infected files: 0
Total files: 107856
Total folders: 17065
Total size: 23.8 GB

* Task stopped: January-17-10 10:08:00 PM
* Run-time was 28 minute(s), 55 second(s)
thanks so much