Author Topic: Google, Citing Attack, Threatens to Exit China [FIXED :) ]  (Read 54400 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Google, Citing Attack, Threatens to Exit China
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2010, 01:56:20 AM »
@ posters in this thread,

Well we are so fortunate that we are a global forum. Here we are better informed than many, many others online where malware is concerned  and eventually the information comes out unbiased because of our many sources and resourches. This here is a unique community, so glad we are part of it,

your friend polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

YoKenny

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2010, 03:28:03 AM »

Well we are so fortunate that we are a global forum. Here we are better informed than many, many others online where malware is concerned  and eventually the information comes out unbiased because of our many sources and resourches. This here is a unique community, so glad we are part of it,

your friend polonus

+1

My Google is about the Vancover Winter Olympics:
http://www.vancouver2010.com

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »

your friend polonus
You are right :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 04:01:23 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

The Google attack is only the tip of an iceberg in a larger attempt to commit industrial espionage and many nations are into that: http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/03/04/240496/Google-China-hack-is-just-the-tip-of-the-iceberg-RSA-Conference.htm

To protect we are relying on the wrong signature based tools, where behavioral tools would be more apt to thwart off these forms of hacks - first there is a team active to infect and then a data collection team becomes active.

Complaining about the so-called Google-hack is like complaining about a carpet stain while the house is on fire or the hype is to support quite another agenda,

polonus

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 05:03:21 PM »
Yup google is the biggest spyer!!!
First discovered in china and then in many more countries!!
While doing so they sell information for money I guess...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
Hi Shiw Liang,

Now Damballa is adding a new vision to this ever evolving saga described in this thread of ours.
Well, botnet herders are now found to hide behind the Google China attacks, they left the two schools that were mentioned in an earlier report and then according to this story were appointed as botherders: http://www.damballa.com/downloads/press/Aurora_CnC_Research.pdf
They even researched the gradual development of the attack vector used, read here: http://www.damballa.com/downloads/r_pubs/Aurora_Botnet_Command_Structure.pdf
And to top this story off : Another remarkable point was the use of Fake-av scanners. The behavior of one of two variants is almost identical to Trojan.Hydraq, yes the one that was used in the alleged Google attacks. The malware spreaded through warnings and pop-ups on websites. The two earlier variants were eventually followed up by Hydraqm and this went seemlessly  (bold by me, polonus), without there being any overlapping. The fact that the malware was being spread by the same network, according to Damballa proofs that the botnet herders rented the malware variants or part of their network,

polonus

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06:14 AM »
First discovered in china and then in many more countries!!
While doing so they sell information for money I guess...

H Shiw Liang

Such sentiments are not expected in one so young. But then you have the advantage of time to refine yr vision.

Many, including me, view google as spy on our private information because of their sensitivity search such as with their localisation strategy - when user clicks into google, or mayb just even with running desktop - say wit Picasa start automatic - google knows immediate location of user and confer wit google database of that user. So clever personalisation strategy by google to instate user preferences while they browse. And clever firefox for not being same nosey. But google does not intend spy as you have put it. Brin Sergey (math genius of original google) would never allow such antics, and especially 'so they sell information for money I guess...'. They dont do that. Still, they do use the information for their own advantage, and many users have no idea that the info has been imparted and how it will be deployed.

As for China incident. Well IMHO the China government is so obsessed with spy on their own people, and prevent them from having access to non censor information, that they blindly ignore that google need be kept secure as well. They more or less let hackers through the door because they only pursue their own selfish ends to suppress their own people. And it is stupid to comply wit China proviso when they are so obvious not ready to meet requirements of secure online business practices.

Still bit of humor though. Spyers spy on the spyers. And as I say - you have the advantage of time to refine yr vision. 
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

YoKenny

« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2010, 12:55:29 PM »
@ mkis

A bit of humor is needed when the young are involved and when I was young I had heros:
http://www.leedberg.com/mad/spies/spies.html

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2010, 02:57:39 PM »
@polonus: Thank you for the links :)
@mkis:Thanks for the comment or for the additional information :)
@YoKenny:Hehe I don't need that much humor ;D

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2010, 05:47:39 PM »
hahaha thanks Yokenny - yep I bet lots of that going on still

Microsoft had lots of problems too Shiw Liang. Thats how we come to have WGA and OGA (bout Aug 2008)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage#WGA_in_China

In NZ our MS counterfeits had little pop message in bottom left corner you couldn't get rid of.
And there were a few black boxes around. Lot of broken hearted PC users round this town in late 2008.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:49:38 PM by mkis »

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2010, 10:37:08 PM »
Hi mkis,

Well it seems that Shiw Liang is closer to the truth as we all think. It appears now that the malware used in the so-called Chinese Google hack was the work of amateurs:
http://www.damballa.com/research/aurora/
If Damballa is right there with their report and also it was found that the gigantic botnnet Mariposa (Butterfly) that also made 25.000 Dutch victims was herded by normal users and not by notorious cybercriminals or semi-official hackers Re: http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/media/press-releases/viewnews?noticia=10086
If this is right, we see a very dangerous trend coming to the Internet and we can put that Shiw Liang had it right and google is helping this house-garden malcreants great time (better not use it for the search results of Google are all messed up with links to malcode, while other search engines are rather free of this malware links (fake AV etc. etc.).
But also read this: http://infoworld.com/print/115086

polonus
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:54:34 PM by polonus »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2010, 05:08:28 AM »
This is good subject cos not the end of China/google matter yet, and will for sure happen again.

I think this is strong enough statement, I cannot agree with any of the parts that I have omitted.
I use Bing with IE but still with google as default search provider - I love Live Translator, which is my only accelerator - and I cannot get it in google (home page) or Chrome.

Really I think China proviso pulled down many of what would be usual google defense strategy (though I'm guessing). But considering google search may be getting a bit messy anyway and the extent of the growing google behemoth, it wouldn't argue their case too strongly. Are google still yr friend? Well yes and no.

But China is another matter - experience wit my country (not guessing) emphasize China government will always want take control by twisting arrangement and wearing down external interest until barely worth closing deal except you cannot pull out because of all the $$ you have already put into the arrangement. This is what Brin Sergey is up against, despite that his initial query raised the moral issue of doing business wit China government. Last thing on China government mind is sustain google defense strategy. No wonder they were hacked by amateurs. All the professionals are probably working for...well I leave it there I think. I get carried away. My country no benchmark exporter, makes mistakes import/export wit China.

btw - in my country nearly 100% hardware for personal or home computers has China marked as country of origin

Sometimes individual party go to China, (central China even, hardest nut to crack), and achieve exceptional results with remarkable Chinese people - some excellent government interaction. (I wish I could screen some local TV docs like 'Country Calendar' to show point my point).

In not too many years we probably all rely on Shiw Liang to tell us what is what in computer world.

off topic / I got that link to the RU site thru Bing - checkd and decided they don't rate a click to view even though they clean

Edit - Polonus, will PM but have been so busy, have something to show you for yr opinion
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 05:12:59 AM by mkis »

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2010, 09:19:44 AM »
I said that because google do not spy only China but other countries also

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »
yes I think they need pick up their act. I have had to change my view of google in recent times.

They might find that their tracking softwares be what opens doors for malcreants.

Hermite15

Google "99.9 pct" sure to shut China search engine: report
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2010, 01:22:39 PM »
Google "99.9 pct" sure to shut China search engine: report
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62C0K920100313?type=technologyNews
(Reuters) - Talks with China over censorship have reached an apparent impasse and Google, the world's largest search engine, is now "99.9 percent" certain to shut its Chinese search engine, the Financial Times said on Saturday.

It said in a report on its website Google had drawn up detailed plans for closing its Chinese search engine.

The newspaper cited a person familiar with the company's thinking as saying that, while a decision could be made very soon, Google was likely to take some time to follow through with its plans.

That would be in order to bring about an orderly closure as the company takes steps to protect local employees from retaliation by authorities, it said.

China warned Google on Friday against flouting the country's laws, as expectations grow for a resolution to a public battle over censorship and cyber-security.

Google shocked business and political circles in January when it threatened to pull out of China if it could not offer an unfiltered Chinese search engine. The threat came after cyber attacks originating from China on it and about 30 other firms.

"If you don't respect Chinese laws, you are unfriendly and irresponsible, and the consequences will be on you," China's Minister of Industry and Information Technology, Li Yizhong, told reporters on Friday in answer to a question on what China would do if Google.cn simply stopped filtering search results.

That came after the chief executive of Google, Eric Schmidt, said on Wednesday he hoped to announce soon a result to talks with Chinese authorities on offering an uncensored search engine in China.

The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology shares oversight of the Chinese Internet with a number of other bodies. Still more bureaucracies are involved in matters of foreign investment, complicating the Chinese government's response to Google's challenge.