Author Topic: Norton and Avast  (Read 10248 times)

sevenblu

Norton and Avast
« on: June 19, 2004, 01:37:54 AM »
I've heard so many good things about Avast I want to start using it right away... but I already have Norton 2003 Systemworks (with antivirus) installed on my PC.  I have had no problems with Norton, except once I tried to re-install and had to delete a bunch of reg keys...

I am wwondering if the two products will work together on XP.  Must I only have one Anti-Virus program or can I use both simultaniously... Am I asking for trouble installing Avast without uninstalling Norton?  

Or is it cool.

Kobra

Re:Norton and Avast
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 01:47:04 AM »
Norton is a cancer and should never be installed with another AV product.

sevenblu

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2004, 01:54:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm learnig that... but except for the antivirus program, I enjoy the registery fix tool.

Does AVAST offer a registery fix tool... does windows have one already...  Norton speed-disk is basically Windows defrag, so maybe windows has a reg fix program I am not familiar with...  

I want AVAST, but I also want I reg-fix too...  I am always having reg problems.

sevenblu

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2004, 02:15:38 AM »
I want to get rid of Norton and Install AVAST because AVAST seems to be more reliable, it is free, and takes up less space on my PC...  Norton is like a cancer eating away at every part of my comp...

Only... there is one thing I like about Norton Systemworks - I run a windows check (or a one-button-checkup) and it finds problems in my registery... tells me how many problems... and then fixes them.

This registery fix option doesn't come with AVAST.  There are other things in Norton Systemworks that are already installed in my PC.  For instance, Speed-disk is basically Windows Defrag, and CleanSweep is useless because I have Evidence-Eliminator...

But this Registery Fix option I don't have... or at least don't know I have.

I don't want to lose this function; so what do I do?  Does windows already have a registery fix prog, or is there a free one that I can get somewhere...

After I solve this, I will be uninstalling Norton.  Thanks.

Tipton

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 02:24:50 AM »
I want to get rid of Norton and Install AVAST because AVAST seems to be more reliable, it is free, and takes up less space on my PC...  Norton is like a cancer eating away at every part of my comp...

Only... there is one thing I like about Norton Systemworks - I run a windows check (or a one-button-checkup) and it finds problems in my registery... tells me how many problems... and then fixes them.

This registery fix option doesn't come with AVAST.  There are other things in Norton Systemworks that are already installed in my PC.  For instance, Speed-disk is basically Windows Defrag, and CleanSweep is useless because I have Evidence-Eliminator...

But this Registery Fix option I don't have... or at least don't know I have.

I don't want to lose this function; so what do I do?  Does windows already have a registery fix prog, or is there a free one that I can get somewhere...

After I solve this, I will be uninstalling Norton.  Thanks.

I assume when you say "registry fix option", you mean Win Doctor. You can easily un-install Norton systemworks, then install Avast, then re-install systemworks using the custom install feature. You can then just install the items you want, without NAV. As long as you do not install NAV, Avast plays well with Systemworks. If you really want to get a good System maintenance suite, look into Tuneup utilities 2004. It has a great registry cleaner, as well as many other tools. Heres the link.
http://www.snapfiles.com/features/tuneuputils-803-433744.php

I really like Norton WinDoctor, but have never liked it when it would cross referance dead shortcut links to something entirely different.

Douglas
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 02:25:59 AM by Tipton »

sevenblu

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 02:35:45 AM »
Ah... So I can custom install and keep windocter but lose antivirus?  

Is this what you are saying?

Kobra

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 02:43:40 AM »
Exactly, custom installs are for exactly this.. Which is why I can run MKS_Vir on-access, with MKS + Avast on-demand.  I tell Avast to *ONLY* install the on-demand parts.

I think every program has facilities for this type of management.

Tipton

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 02:43:48 AM »
Ah... So I can custom install and keep windocter but lose antivirus?  

Is this what you are saying?

Thats what I am saying. Don't forget to try Tuneup utilities 2004 though. They have a 30 day trial!

Douglas

simpof

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 03:56:31 AM »
Hi
I use a good registry tool. Very secure and it is free
Here the link
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html

Kobra

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 06:11:21 AM »
I second the motion for Regseeker..

Also search for crapcleaner.. I actually use both crapcleaner and regseeker, works great.

Tipton

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 06:34:34 AM »
I second the motion for Regseeker..

Also search for crapcleaner.. I actually use both crapcleaner and regseeker, works great.

RegSeeker is ok for a free utility.

Douglas

renfraus

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 08:34:47 AM »
Norton is the Internet Explorer of anti-virus software... everybody has it so the hackers program their viruses to kick its butt.
I got rid of Norton 2003 after it was compromised for the umpteenth time.
Avast is cool.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 10:02:21 AM »
I have repacked the WinDoctor into standalone pcak just because of this. This is the only good tool in whole SystemWorks Package. Otherwise i prefer System Mechanic. It much better and doesn't mess with you system.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

sevenblu

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2004, 09:42:54 PM »
I have installed just window docter and cleansweep to moniter DL'd progs.  They are they only two Norton products I actually like, thanks for the info.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 12:03:04 AM »
I have SystemWorks 2002 installed (w/o the anti-virus) on Win98se together with avast! and have no problems. But my experience is too that Norton AV, McAfee and eTrust (CA) hooks on to everything making things unstable and slow :-(
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud