Author Topic: No Internet connection and " Error 10050,"when uninstalling Comodo Firewall  (Read 8025 times)

seattletwodogs

I wanted to install a new firewall and on repeated attempts, I receive "Error 10050"  reguarding NNTP,IMAP, POP3 and SMPT protocols when I rebooted computer to complete  Comodo Free Firewall 2.4 uninstallation. After checking "OK" under all Avast Warnings, I then am unable to connect to the Internet.

I tried to uninstall Avast several times, unsuccessfully, to eliminate Avast as the problem. When I reboot after prolonged  Revo Uninstaller attempts, Avast 4.8-1368 reappears.

I started just wanting to change firewalls. It now seems as though another antivirus may be indicated. as well, if I could ever remove the applications.

Thank you in advance to those who take the time to read and respond to this post.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Insert the license key.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

seattletwodogs

Your excellent directions resulted in my successfully uninstalling Avast.

Comodo Firewall has not yet been uninstalled.  I am unable to connect to the Internet after each attempt and connect after using my System Restore point.

I would like to reinstall Avast but feel I ought to be certain it will in no way relate to my Comodo uninstallation poblem. Consequently. I  currently have no Antivirus application on the affected computer.

I would certainly appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks again for helping me to resolve one issue.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
I've used this Comodo firewall - 2.4- before, and liked it, but it is no longer supported. It is also a pain to completely remove. I have a script available that can complete the removal. I obtained it on the Comodo forum, but even after running it I had to locate a couple of legacy keys in the registry, change their permissions to allow full control, and only then could they be removed.

Are you up for this? Do you want me to enclose the script and instructions?

Before removing a firewall you should already have the full install file for the AV (in Avast case, this is setupeng.exe, 40.75Mb, available (by direct download here, and the full install file for your proposed replacement firewall.

Was there any other AV installed on this computer prior to Avast?
What is your OS?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

seattletwodogs

I've used this Comodo firewall - 2.4- before, and liked it, but it is no longer supported. It is also a pain to completely remove. I have a script available that can complete the removal. I obtained it on the Comodo forum, but even after running it I had to locate a couple of legacy keys in the registry, change their permissions to allow full control, and only then could they be removed.

Are you up for this? Do you want me to enclose the script and instructions?

Before removing a firewall you should already have the full install file for the AV (in Avast case, this is setupeng.exe, 40.75Mb, available (by direct download here, and the full install file for your proposed replacement firewall.

Was there any other AV installed on this computer prior to Avast?
What is your OS?

Thanks for your offer. I would definitely appreciate script and instructions. I'm definitely willing to try as long as System Restore continues to bail me out when needed.

Avast was the only AV installed. Am running Windows XP Home. 

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
XP 32bit?
What firewall are you intending to replace CFP with?

Doing a bit more research, and I have a software issue of my own I have to fix (@##% HP printer software!) so I might be an hour or more replying next.
In the interim download the full install file for whatever firewall you intend to use (I like PCTools firewall, it's easy to use; Online Armour by Tall Emu is considered very good but sometimes gives problems during program updates, apparently, likewise ZoneAlarm. Check out Outpost Firewall Pro 2009, used and recommended by one of the senior members here.) and download the Comodo uninstaller to your desktop, (this uninstaller is from the Comodo forum post concerning the uninstall problems with 2.4.), further instructions in due course, or you could follow the thread linked above at the Comodo forum if you want to work it out for yourself. But be aware, the thread runs to over ten pages, and there are a lot of ancillary issues discussed. Not to scare you, but it's a bit of a minefield, really.

There will be a couple of legacy reg keys to delete, following removal, too.
The script I have is for CFP version 3. I remember using it to help remove 2.4, and it did remove some stuff, but it's not a be-all answer. I'll provide it to you if indicated as useful during the uninstall.

In the event you run into problems during the uninstall (not a given, but certainly possible), since you'll need an internet connection to post/see replies to issues, do you have another computer to use on the forum?

seattletwodogs

XP 32bit?
What firewall are you intending to replace CFP with?

Doing a bit more research, and I have a software issue of my own I have to fix (@##% HP printer software!) so I might be an hour or more replying next.
In the interim download the full install file for whatever firewall you intend to use (I like PCTools firewall, it's easy to use; Online Armour by Tall Emu is considered very good but sometimes gives problems during program updates, apparently, likewise ZoneAlarm. Check out Outpost Firewall Pro 2009, used and recommended by one of the senior members here.) and download the Comodo uninstaller to your desktop, (this uninstaller is from the Comodo forum post concerning the uninstall problems with 2.4.), further instructions in due course, or you could follow the thread linked above at the Comodo forum if you want to work it out for yourself. But be aware, the thread runs to over ten pages, and there are a lot of ancillary issues discussed. Not to scare you, but it's a bit of a minefield, really.

There will be a couple of legacy reg keys to delete, following removal, too.

The script I have is for CFP version 3. I remember using it to help remove 2.4, and it did remove some stuff, but it's not a be-all answer. I'll provide it to you if indicated as useful during the uninstall.

In the event you run into problems during the uninstall (not a given, but certainly possible), since you'll need an internet connection to post/see replies to issues, do you have another computer to use on the forum?

It's XP 32bit. Haven't yet decided on specific firewall.  Was considering some you mentioned and will research further.

Am proceeding slowly at this point as have another computer available. Will post again when I have something to report.

Thanks for your input. Good luck resolving your HP issue.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
OK. I'll be notified when you post something here.
In the end I had to format and reinstall Windows. Bit of a mish. The problem appeared to be that the software for the printer installs the .Net framework, version 1, without regard to whatever might be already installed. I couldn't uninstall it, manually uninstalling it failed, couldn't even uninstall and reinstall the Windows updates.
But on the bright side I now have a squeaky clean new installation. ;D