Author Topic: Question regarding Avast! 4.7.892  (Read 4171 times)

Stran05

Question regarding Avast! 4.7.892
« on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:51 AM »
Hello, I am recently using Avast 4.7.892. It is an old version I know. Now, the initial Virus Database is somewhere around March 2006. I want to update the database via the Manual Update Package. Now the manual update package for 17th January 2010 is around 31MB. My question is: Can I update this old Avast 4.7.892 using this Manual VDF Package. I have already activated this version with a valid license key which I got after registering with Avast! Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Question regarding Avast! 4.7.892
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
I don't know, but I don't think so. Reason: if it were able to use that particular definition file/format, it should be able to auto update itself.
Suggestion: Update your Avast version.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Stran05

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:46:06 AM »
But my version Auto-Updates, but it says the update file is as large as 32MB! I cannot afford that much with a dial-up connection, but when I checked majorgeeks.com and searched for the Avast! Defintion files, it came up with two results, one for Avast 4.0 and another for above Version 4.0. The link is given below:

http://majorgeeks.com/avast_Virus_Definitions_d5150.html

So can you please check if my Avast 4.7 is manually updatable or not?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »
The VPS (definitions file) is, by itself, 31.5 Mb. Also available here. (hint, MajorGeeks is a good site, along with quite a few others, but I find it usually best to download stuff from the vendors' site.)

So if you are going to be downloading such a large database file, you might as well download the full program setup, which is only about 10Mb more.

What you could do is (if you know somebody with a high speed connection) download the full setup file to a flash drive, and download the file aswClear.exe (for removal) and them use those files to update your computer.

I don't understand what your own programs' auto updater is telling you. VPS updates are typically 10-20 Kb. Maybe it's asking you for a program, rather than a VPS update?

Stran05

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:35:47 AM »
The point is that my computer is slow and sluggish and that is why I am using an older version of Avast! I have another PC which has very hich specifications, but it runs Avira AntiVir Personal 9. If you have seen the MajorGeek page I posted, you must believe that Avast 4.7 can be updated with 31.5MB Update kit.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
I have seen the update page you linked. There are also updates for version 4.0, which total 3.8 Mb.
I don't know if the current VPS will work with your old program. You may want to wait and see if anyone else here knows.

I do know that over time, updating my Avast versions have not caused any performance hit to my computer. The current version is no more resource-heavy than the old one you are using, I would think.

Slow and sluggish computers can be caused by lots of things, apart from age. More RAM is often an answer. Preventing programs that don't' need to from starting with Windows is important, especially with a low performing computer. Carrying out routine maintenance is important, such as cleaning the disk of junk files, and defragging it. There are various tricks.

What is your OS, and your RAM/CPU specs?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
Hello, I am recently using Avast 4.7.892. It is an old version I know. Now, the initial Virus Database is somewhere around March 2006. I want to update the database via the Manual Update Package. Now the manual update package for 17th January 2010 is around 31MB. My question is: Can I update this old Avast 4.7.892 using this Manual VDF Package. I have already activated this version with a valid license key which I got after registering with Avast! Any help will be appreciated.

Your avast version is positively ancient, so I would be surprised if you have a problem trying to get the latest manual VPS updates to install on the old version. The system of update has changed considerably.

The latest avast version is 4.8.1368 and this version is as likely to be able to run on your old system as the old version is, so I would suggest that you get the latest version.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the Language version you need and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security