Author Topic: Avast gui way too slow  (Read 5478 times)

Kreuger

Avast gui way too slow
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »
When I run the avastgui it slows my computer down to the point it's unusable. However if I run it from the commandline, theres no difference at all. I dont think I have a weak computer by any means. I have an Intel Core2Duo with 1gb ram. Ubuntu 9.10 with all the latest drivers, etc.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Avast gui way too slow
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
When I run the avastgui it slows my computer down to the point it's unusable. However if I run it from the commandline, theres no difference at all. I dont think I have a weak computer by any means. I have an Intel Core2Duo with 1gb ram. Ubuntu 9.10 with all the latest drivers, etc.

Hallo,
please, do 'top' in a terminal, and watch the resources of avastgui - is it getting out of memory, or just takes cpu time? anyway, both is bad, and there's (probably) some file, which causes this behavior (but, scan is probably stuck onj this file and there's no further progress - is this true in your case?)

Btw. you can reduce the slow-down of the rest of the machine simply by re-nicing the avastgui (run it in nice, or renice it, also the top-utility can re-nice on the fly).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Kreuger

Re: Avast gui way too slow
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:57:03 AM »
It averages between 40-60% CPU usage and 16% Memory usage. However the CPU is up as high as 90% (actually it said 108 once) at some points and as low as 35% but never less than that. This is in just 1min23secs of running. Although for the most part, it seems better than normal. It just takes a hell of a lot longer to actually do the scan.