Author Topic: Win32Klez-H!  (Read 12743 times)

gate1975mlm

Re:Win32Klez-H!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 03:01:08 PM »
This has always been my ONE (and only) negative point with avast!  

When a novice user gets a virus-warning and click remove, and then gets this "file is in use" message they PANIC !!!!!

OK, we all know that there is no reason to panic (the file access IS stopped), but that isn't obvoius to a novice.

1)  avast! should give better info about what is happening.
2)  avast! should do everything possible to delete the file.

Other AV products I have used will mangage to clean/delete the file without having to boot or use a separate cleaner!

Do you mean as long as Avast found the Virus and can not delete it you are still safe from it? Why would that be? If its still oin your pc?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 03:40:36 PM »
Thanks Lars, I fully agree with you  :-[
Maybe, the web information about viruses will be wellcoming too  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 03:54:45 PM »
Do you mean as long as Avast found the Virus and can not delete it you are still safe from it? Why would that be? If its still oin your pc?

Yes, because even if avast! cannot delete the file it will stop the process that is trying to access the file. Then the virus will not be executed. At least this is what I've been told and it seems right.

But I still think avast! should tell the user this more clearly, AND again - try even harder to free/unlock the file so that it can be deleted (is there functions in Windows to clear all file-locks?)
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

gate1975mlm

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 08:56:36 PM »

Yes, because even if avast! cannot delete the file it will stop the process that is trying to access the file. Then the virus will not be executed. At least this is what I've been told and it seems right.

But I still think avast! should tell the user this more clearly, AND again - try even harder to free/unlock the file so that it can be deleted (is there functions in Windows to clear all file-locks?)

Yes this would be nice. I hope the people who make Avast read this.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 09:50:09 PM »
(is there functions in Windows to clear all file-locks?)

No, there certainly isn't.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2004, 10:13:20 PM »
Then what do other AV programs do? I havn't gotten this problem with any other AV. Besides, WHY is the infected file locked ny another program anyway? No program should have gotten access to it anyway (avast! should have stopped that before it was infected). This worries me :-(
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 12:03:38 AM »
Then what do other AV programs do?

Well, I would like to know... I still somehow doubt they can delete it.
Recently, we talked with Vlk about a special way to do that, but came to a conclusion that it's too dangerous (other files may get corrupted).

Staind

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2004, 05:02:06 AM »

Recently, we talked with Vlk about a special way to do that, but came to a conclusion that it's too dangerous (other files may get corrupted).
Yea, having someone delete a file causing Windows to totally screw up would be quite nice.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 05:13:24 PM »

Vlk and Igor, please, do not give up... What's related by Erik is, in my opinion, a think that annoy or panic the users... Maybe the other av just do not say anything and delete the file on next boot  ::) Probably not but, how to correct this in avast, even eicar.com files are not 'deleted' and give error, specially the temp files.
The best things in life are free.