Author Topic: I guess 5 is coming soon? Saw two new files in the Avast folder.  (Read 20210 times)

street_lethal

Re: I guess 5 is coming soon? Saw two new files in the Avast folder.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »
Looks like Avast 5 is out.  :) I still haven't gotten a notification message yet. I tried the program update from the taskbar icon and it said I was up to date with 4.8. Guess it didn't hit the Avast update servers.

pinnacle

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
its already being sold. but I cannot afford the suite my wife just lost her job yesterday and i am disabled. So I will have to go try another suite within my budget which is no budget. man I am so disapointed that i cannot get this great product. i really like this app. and do not like mixing it up using various 3rd party applications to have a suite that way it really is a pain. oh well could be worst .
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:56:30 PM by pinnacle »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »
The actual upgrade campaign will take a few months (you may not getting a popup until after 2 months or so) - we can't handle it faster due to huge load on our servers.

So, if you want v5 now, you can download it manually and install it over the existing v4.8 installation.

ace11

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 08:04:51 PM »
I installed and purchased a license of Avast IS 5 today .

I noticed that installation of AIS did NOT turn off the Win-7 (X64) firewall , as opposed to any other IS vendors I tried.

1) is that OK ?
2) If W7 firewall should stay ON , plz explain why ? what are the benefits and cons of having 2 different FW working side by side ?

street_lethal

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »
The actual upgrade campaign will take a few months (you may not getting a popup until after 2 months or so) - we can't handle it faster due to huge load on our servers.

So, if you want v5 now, you can download it manually and install it over the existing v4.8 installation.

Got ya. Even the Avast home page was down a while ago. Maybe i'll download it and do what you said.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
1) is that OK ?
2) If W7 firewall should stay ON , plz explain why ? what are the benefits and cons of having 2 different FW working side by side ?

It's somewhat similar to Windows Defender and other antivirus/antispyware applications. It just doesn't conflict, so why disable it?
Last time we spoke to the engineers in Redmond, we were actually advised to not turn off the Windows firewall as it is also connected to some other Windows network stack features (e.g. IPSec). So that's what we do now, we leave it on.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ace11

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 08:47:51 PM »
VLK - thank you

1) Does leaving W7 firewall on - impact on the performance in any way? ( Did someone benchmarked it ? )

2) Does that mean that a user who wants to control applications (manually) has to maintain two different applications (W7 FW & AIS FW ) ?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »
1) Does leaving W7 firewall on - impact on the performance in any way? ( Did someone benchmarked it ? )

No measurements have been done, but I'd say the difference would be completely negligible (as the Windows firewall as in fact hard wired to the Windows TCP/IP stack).

2) Does that mean that a user who wants to control applications (manually) has to maintain two different applications (W7 FW & AIS FW ) ?

Well by default, the Windows firewall is only inbound firewall, i.e. it doesn't really control applications in any way.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

street_lethal

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:19:04 PM »
So far so good, I did a clean install of Avast 5 on one machine and i'm still poking around the settings. Doing a full scan just to try it out while typing this, seems pretty light on resources which is obviously a good thing.

So disabling the Windows 7 firewall is not a good idea huh?  I might be installing Windows 7 soon on one of my machines. I'm planning on using a free firewall to monitor outbound connections with logging so I might use Comodo. I was using Sygate 5.6(doesn't work with Vista and later Windows OSes) with XP with the Windows firewall turned off, i'm also behind a router, but I like to see what is trying to get out and Sygate has excellent logs. I was able to setup logging with the Windows 7 firewall when I tried the RC but I didn't like the way it was implemented. Just wondering if besides IPsec if anything else is effected if I disable the Windows firewall.

Nameless13

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »
Whether it is safe, to establish over the old version the new? Or it is necessary manually uninstall old version 4.8?