Author Topic: web shield prevent browser working after using clone disk  (Read 2913 times)

johncw

web shield prevent browser working after using clone disk
« on: January 16, 2010, 03:14:40 AM »

When I replaced a system disk with a larger disk that was cloned, the browser (firefox or ie) did not work anymore - web shield prevented the browser from working ... the browser just seems to hang without showing the page of the url entered. Stopping the web shield allowed the browser to function properly. I tried uninstalling and re-installing avast but the browser worked only when web shield was disabled. Can anyone tell me what I could do in order that the browser works properly when the web shield is enabled?

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: web shield prevent browser working after using clone disk
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:53:05 AM »
It is more likely that the web shield is being blocked and consequently no browsing.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

johncw

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 06:48:37 AM »
> It is more likely that the web shield is being blocked and consequently no browsing.
>
> What is your firewall ?

The FW is ZoneAlarm. It is possible that is the problem but I originally turned off the FW (which I forgot to mention) first then turned off Avast when browser starting working.
Then restarted Avast, the browser malfunctioned until I stopped web shield. I will recheck again when I have access to the machine - I was helping someone transfer her system to a larger disk (using Acronis Migrate Easy which was straight forward).

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
You're welcome.

Even turning off the firewall isn't a guarantee to resolve anything which may be conflict related.

I have seen this before and ZA seems to on occasion seem to suffer amnesia as far as its permissions go and why the deletion of an entry for processes blocked (even when the permissions are set to allow) resolves this in the greatest majority of the cases.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

johncw

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:47:21 AM »
You're welcome.

Even turning off the firewall isn't a guarantee to resolve anything which may be conflict related.

I have seen this before and ZA seems to on occasion seem to suffer amnesia as far as its permissions go and why the deletion of an entry for processes blocked (even when the permissions are set to allow) resolves this in the greatest majority of the cases.

I tried removing the FW entries and even installing a newer version of the FW but the problem remained.
Original disk had two partitions C and E but when the new disk is installed, it was C and D.
Re-labeled the D partition to E and voila we can surf.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:00:04 AM »
Thanks for the update, glad you have it resolved.

A belated welcome to the forums.