Author Topic: Issue's with Virus Chest and Updates.  (Read 2142 times)

Ahab

Issue's with Virus Chest and Updates.
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:21:03 AM »
So I have recently switched to Avast, downloaded the program with no problem until i tried updating it upon installation, it kept saying it could not connect to the server therefore unable to update. I made sure my firewall wasn't getting in the way, I ended up manually downloading the update from the main site, I'm glad I got the update but I would much rather just go through the automatic system so I don't have to manually download it anymore. As for the virus chest whenever I access it it tells me the "initialization" has failed and It cannot be used. I've repaired it and uninstalled it so i don't know what else I can do. Any help is much appreciated!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Issue's with Virus Chest and Updates.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »
Hi Ahab, welcome to the forum.

What was your last AV, and how was it removed?
What firewall?
What OS?

A full reinstall from scratch may solve it, depending on the answers to the above.
-download the full (English) installer. (Direct download from Avast) and save to your desktop. (If you need a different language version, see here.
-Download (Direct download again) the Avast uninstall utility. Save it to your desktop.
-Disconnect from the internet.
-Uninstall the Avast program from the control panel. Reboot. If there were problems uninstalling reboot into safe mode.
-Run the Avast uninstall utility. Reboot.
-Install Avast from the file you downloaded. Reboot. You may wish to not schedule a boot scan, as this can take some time. If you have any suspicion of an infection, though, allow the scan to schedule.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:49:52 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Ahab

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »
my last AV was McAfee (CRAP), removed it via control panel/remove programs, running vista home premium right now. i'll try that stuff now

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:59:51 AM »
OK, before you start, also get the McAfee removal tool (from MajorGeeks (click one of the download mirrors below the animated chevron) and run it anytime prior to installing your fresh copy of Avast.

After installation of Avast, you can reconnect to the net to get updates. It would not be surprising if the remnants of McAfee had prevented this, earlier.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:00:49 AM »
BTW, run all the tools I've linked, and especially the Avast installation file, as admin.