Author Topic: What is the recommended way to upgrade to avast 5?  (Read 16780 times)

cazoza

Re: What is the recommended way to upgrade to avast 5?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 05:03:38 AM »
Thankz for ur answer Vlk, but no, i have downloaded the Pro Version of Avast, and i have re-downloaded it, but there is the same problem, im tired of trying to upgrade my avast 4.8 to 5. Is there any other way to type the 4.8 key into 5? Cuz it could be great! Thankz again. I will try to install the 5 pro on top of 4.8 pro, let's see if it suceed now. If not i will tell you. bye.

cazoza

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 05:55:55 AM »
Here is my setup debug file and a screenshot of the message that appears when it try to install Avast 5 Pro version over my 4.8 version. I will upload a reproduction of my installation error, using the Problems Step Recorder that comes with win 7. Hope that helps. Thankz for ur help, and i will be waiting for an answer. By the way, i tried to install avast with admin rights. So there is no chance to error.

coolsilver

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 06:10:20 AM »
What it looks like to me....In order to get a license file for your upgraded install you must be online.

Otherwise you may go to the resend license file page on avast main website with your 4.8 key and have the license file sent to you. Once you have the license file you may specify it during install for offline installation if the install did not complete.

It appears to me the install completed but did not finish the license activation process. You may be ok but if you have issues with services not starting, reinstall.

Once you have the file install it under maintenance and subscriptions.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:13:18 AM by coolsilver »

cazoza

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 06:18:28 AM »
Im online on the entire process. And also, when i try to activate the trial period it freezes my pc. And I dont know what else to do. I have tried to install it several ocations now. I will upload a recording of the entire process to megaupload. So here Avast users and technicians can watch it.

Edited
Here is the file on megaupload server. Plz Help me!!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GEJRQTN5
PS. Is Compressed with WinRar

I've succeeded on installing FREE Version and activating it with my pro key. It's a pitty that i cant install the pro version on my pc.

Maybe the sandbox shield is causing this mess, i dont know, because in free version there is no sanbox shield or process, and its doing it well. What could it be Vlk??
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:03:21 AM by cazoza »

HA Nut

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
I wish I could install the free version but I couldn't! In both cases, free or Pro, Avast 5 freezes up the PC at the end of the installation process. I'm talking HARD freezes that even prevent Task Manager from running! Only a push on the hardware power button saves the day. I can uninstall and then roll back to 4.8 Pro without issue. Clearly, there is something happening at the end of the installation process of version 5 that is a BIG bug. I can't believe I am the only one this is happening to??

cazoza

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 06:05:59 AM »
Well my friend, lets wait until Vlk, or some avast technician say something, because i see a lot of comments about error in v5 of avast, just like the one we have. So i have faith that Vlk, or someone can tell me what is grong with my installation procedure or whats is ocurring during my installation. Take care. Let's wait for an answer.

YoKenny

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 07:49:20 AM »
I can offer my experiences as a long time user of avast! as I used Vlk's method on my XP Pro system.

http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab4 then download English (US) (38MB) file then ran it.

I had to reboot a couple of times to prevent it hanging though.

I do not use MSE anymore as it causes XP Pro to hang so I use Windows Defender instead.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:52:06 AM by YoKenny »

cazoza

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »
I will try to do that, but i think i've already tried it. Thankz! I will post my result. Thankz friend!

I Have downloaded that setup and is the same result as before! WTF?? Well, thankz friend, but is the same as above. I will stick to 5 FREE. (for now)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:15:34 PM by cazoza »