Author Topic: I'm confused about avast  (Read 27646 times)

bexar656

Re: I'm confused about avast
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:23 AM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?f2tzjbtw4yj

I don't think I did this right. I'm not to computer swift and I'm confused on mediafire as to getting the file here. Also in mediafire I don't see Extras.txt.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 12:06:19 AM »
You need to upload the text file - not the otl.exe file.  I will shot you my e-mail via PM and you can mail both text file to me

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »
Let me know if there are any continuing problems after this run

Run OTL.exe
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
Code: [Select]
:OTL
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [FBSearch] C:\Program Files\Search Guard Plus\SearchGuardPlus.exe ()

:Files
C:\Program Files\Search Guard Plus

:Commands
[purity]
[emptytemp]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot when it is done
  • Then post a new OTL log ( don't check the boxes beside LOP Check or Purity this time )

bexar656

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »
I hope this what you want. 

All processes killed
========== OTL ==========
Registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\FBSearch deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Search Guard Plus\SearchGuardPlus.exe moved successfully.
========== FILES ==========
C:\Program Files\Search Guard Plus folder moved successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========

[EMPTYTEMP]

User: All Users

User: Default User
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes

User: LocalService
->Temp folder emptied: 66016 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 33170 bytes

User: NetworkService
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 193945214 bytes

User: user
->Temp folder emptied: 2103140 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 71158792 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->Google Chrome cache emptied: 0 bytes
->Apple Safari cache emptied: 3298831 bytes

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 2176856 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 2577 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\dllcache .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32\drivers .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 2343561 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 26137158 bytes
RecycleBin emptied: 49284066 bytes

Total Files Cleaned = 334.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.1.27.0 log created on 01272010_164231

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...
File move failed. C:\WINDOWS\temp\_avast4_\Webshlock.txt scheduled to be moved on reboot.
File\Folder C:\WINDOWS\temp\Perflib_Perfdata_5a0.dat not found!

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »
Total Files Cleaned = 334.00 mb
Cleared a bit of space

What problems are you experiencing now ?

bexar656

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »
I'm no longer getting the warning alerts that I was getting in avast or the message saying that the program I was on was shuting down to protect the computer. All seems to be working ok except that when I turn the computer on I get the following message on a black screen. The first word is cut off so I'm not sure what it is. Quote: "lon-system disk or disk error. Click any key to continue." Then it starts up after clicking a key. But I've been getting that message for sometime and don't know if it has had anything to do with the virus problem.  Also what should I now do with the fifteen virus I have in the avast chest. And there are six virus in Quarentine in Malware-Anti Malware.  Thanks for your help.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
The quarantine files can be safely deleted - lets check your disc file structure

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed, 
4. Use one of the following procedures:
• To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start. 
• To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start. 
To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start. 
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Let me know what it reports

bexar656

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 01:26:13 AM »
I ran the Chkdsk as you outlined. It ran all three checks but when it finished, after about 30 secs a bunch of writing appeared but was gone in a split second and the computer started up again.  So I have no report.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »
No report is generated it jus displays it on the screen - do you still get the error at boot ?

bexar656

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 12:30:41 AM »
No I haven't had it for a while.  Am I suppose to do something with the fifteen viruses I have in avast Infected files or just leave them there?

bexar656

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 12:54:14 AM »
A question. At the start of this I was advised to download and run Super Antispyware and I did. I also had Spybot search and destroy. I notice that when I right click on Spybot it opens a box that has Scan with Super Antispyware in it.  Are both of these the same altho they both have a different setup.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:40 AM »
Hi, me again,
See essexboy's reply 5 posts up regarding files in quarantine. (Safe to delete them.)
In your post above, what you are seeing is the context menu, or right-click menu. The item "scan with Superantispyware" will appear in that box when ever SAS is running - and it defaults to starting with Windows - in much the same way as any other item will appear in that menu. If you right click on any item, the same menu should appear.

Superantispyware is similar in function to Spybot S&D. Spybot has been around a bit longer.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

bexar656

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 09:17:52 PM »
Hello Tarq57 or essexboy. I just ran Super antispyware and this is what it came up with. "Potentially harmfull items have been detected on your computer. It is advised that you quarantine and remove these items to prevent further infection." Files detected 14. Total threats detected 14."  Then it said "Adware tracking cookies" It said to check the item for removal or quarantine.  I checked "Adware tracking cookies.  I thought I was finished with getting rid of any infections.  Any advise on what to do now? Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

I don't even bother having SAS check for them as I keep cookies under a tight reign.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
Also on the subject of cookies - there are now flash cookies and some are used by redirect malware.  When was the last time you cleared the flash cache ? 

However, a neat tool has been made by Bobbi Fleckman that resolves this "Flush Flash"

Download details and instructions on this page http://www.xs4all.nl/~fstaal01/flushflash-us.html

Enjoy