Author Topic: Avast 5.0.377 - Tray Icon not showing at start-up  (Read 15276 times)

Larry38

Re: Avast 5.0.377 - Tray Icon not showing at start-up
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:08 AM »
I'm having the same problem with avast 5 free.

Have WXP Home IE7, SP3 and running OA Pro, SAS Pro, MBAM Premium.

Probably just a small glitch.

Larry

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »
Whilst the repair hasn't worked for all, it has for some, so have you tried it as suggested ?

OA firewall has in the past put a spanner in the works in avast 4.8 in relation to the old icon ashDisp. Ensure that it hasn't but the kibosh on the startup entry for avastUI.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gea2402

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 06:19:59 PM »
I have the same problem
I tried the repair and a fresh install, it did'nt fix the problem:

PC1 XP home, Comodo :-[
PC2 XP home, ZoneAlarm :-[
PC3 Vista home, Comodo :-[

but PC4 Windows7 + Comodo: it's Ok ;D

perhaps it will be an easy fix in the next version/update??? ::)

Edit: after 2 ou 3 rebbots, the icon tray appears in the PC3 Vista home, Comodo
       but always the problem for the 2 PC's on XP home
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:31:46 PM by gea2402 »

Larry38

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
Whilst the repair hasn't worked for all, it has for some, so have you tried it as suggested ?

OA firewall has in the past put a spanner in the works in avast 4.8 in relation to the old icon ashDisp. Ensure that it hasn't but the kibosh on the startup entry for avastUI.exe.

Hi David, Yes I know about the problem with 4.8 and OA. Guess I was lucky, i never had a problem.

I have used avast free for several years, since I gave AVG Pro. the boot.

I'm retired and got up late, so I am going to try a few things, will let you know the results.

john36

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
I had the same issues as the OP also.

After installing Avast 5 I noticed, after restarting the PC, that I was missing a few system tray icons.

The most notable ones were Avast, FD-ISR, Prevx, and a few of my personal programs that run at Windows start up.

After further reboots, I lost more icons in the system tray each time. I believe I rebooted about four times.

I was then down to one or two icons when I normally have ten or eleven.

I used FD-ISR to revert back to an earlier snap shot and I have my system tray icons back.

I am back to using Avast Home 4.8 and will continue to watch this thread for further developments on this issue.

Thanks.

Larry38

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 12:40:03 AM »
Well I tried everything I can think of, but no luck. Tried the repair, tried the settings and could get the icon that way till I rebooted and it was gone again.

I checked OA and everything was allowed, avast UI.exe was on Task Manager, tried an uninstall and ran CCleaner then reinstalled avast 5 same thing.

I went back to Version 4.8 and it's running fine, will keep up with this forum and if a fix is found, I will go back to avast 5. I really like what I have seen. I did a quick scan with avast 5 but it found nothing.

gea2402

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 11:23:32 PM »
No issue
-> go back to Avast 4.8 on my 2 PC's without tray icon :'(
perhaps it will be an easy fix in the next version/update???  ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 11:34:25 PM »
@ Larry38
You shouldn't take OAs (literal) word for it being allowed (seen that in many firewalls yet things still get blocked), delete the entry for in in OA and place OA into learning mode and reboot. See if that would have made any difference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pfcso

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »
I have loaded Avast 5 on three PCs (all XP SP3) with varying results ... the icon appears after some boots and not after others.  I have done clean installs and the problem is the same unfortunately.

It is possible to make the icon appear by going into settings, disable, enable etc. but hopefully this little glitch can be fixed.  Otherwise Avast 5 seems a really neat development of a great product with lots of potential.

Thanks

pfcso

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »
Just an update:-

Yesterday only one PC spontaneously showed the icon in the Notification area ... today it showed up on all three!

If something has been fixed (although I haven't seen a program update appear) thank you for the swift fix ...
... if not, then maybe it is just one of life's little computer-related mysteries ...  :P

pfcso

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »
Consistently now ... after boot-up the icon shows in the notification area of two PCs but not of the third.

Anyone know of a way I can prompt the rogue PC to behave, or a command which I can insert in the startup folder to automatically perform the "Settings, disable icon, enable icon" procedure instead of my having to do it manually, please?

Thanks

broadcast23

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »
I'm having this problem on a Window XP Pro (sp3) also.  I also have a Vista Ultimate (sp2) machine which has no problems what-ever.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 04:47:35 PM »
Thought I would give the forum an update on my problem of not having the avast! 5.0 tray icon show up when booting to the Windows desktop.  The only way I could get it to show up was to open the main avast program window, open the settings window, get the appearance section showing in the window, then clicking "OK" - - the icon would then show up.  I had tried repairing the installations (both avast free and avast internet security trial) uninstalling, re-installing, using the avast software removal tool between installs - nothing could get the icon to show up automatically.

Well this morning I decided to go back to the free version of avast and uninstalled the internet security trial version.  I did not use the avast software removal program before the install of the free version and proceeded to reboot my computer.  Lo and behold - the tray icon showed up!!  I made no changes to my system other than the internet security trial/free versions switch.  In a previous message in this topic, Vlk stated that he had seen this "disappearing icon" program before and thought it was some type of timing issue.

Can't really say how or why my problem was solved but solved it is!!  Think I'll stick with the free version fr now . . .  ;D
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 03:24:31 AM »
Vista Ultimate here. Only happening on one of my computers though. It's not hidden...just not displaying, period.
~SugarD-x~

pfcso

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »
Since the program update to version 5.0.418, so far the icon has been appearing OK.

Thanks if you have fixed the problem with this version.  (Well, thank you anyway, because Avast is a very useful bit of software.)