Author Topic: forum slow today...  (Read 8581 times)

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: forum slow today...
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:01:01 PM »
Moreover, there often seem to be errors about database.

We will focus on optimizations of forum, blog, support and also web servers to be faster.

If there will be a forum software change, I'll vote for I.P. Board. :)
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »
Moreover, there often seem to be errors about database.

don't worry about that that's a standard message you get when you cannot connect to a web based forum, either that or server busy etc...you see the same error when it happens on other forums with VBulletin etc...that doesn't tell much about the actual nature of the issue. Only the admins know what's going on...do not expect a software change  ;) not mentioning that this sort of problem can happen with any forum software. It's more a matter of server management.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:31:29 PM by Logos »

cinchez

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
I dnt notice such sluggish movements on the forum...seems to me it works perfectly just fine..

-AnimeLover^^

spg SCOTT

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »
I have noticed some times trouble getting here... not really a problem for me except that it always happens just as I hit 'Post'...

It could be ALWIL working on optimising it...since that is what chocholo said

Well, the forum server is not hosting nor providing the updates/downloads since you-know-which incident in December 09.
We will focus on optimizations of forum, blog, support and also web servers to be faster.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
forum is crawling again... that's getting more and more annoying

Yesterday was a pain in the rear, at times unworkable, go off get a cup of tea and try again at times. Today so far for me pretty much normal (for dial-up).

But this really needs investigation/action and perhaps to be on a dedicated fast server with its own SQL incorporated as currently the forums are very busy after the release of avast 5.0 it is almost manic. Whilst those trying to help would be able to cope with this, the forum speed is a right knee in the groin.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
Does using Open DNS speed things up?

Read here

http://www.opendns.com/about/announcements/128/

Excerpt from the article

New DNS Caching Feature Allows Users to Access Web Sites While They Are Inaccessible For Everyone Else, Renders Authoritative DNS Outages Irrelevant for OpenDNS Customers

Is this so?

Hermite15

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »
if changing DNS would help, that would mean that the issue is on your ISP DNS side and not on the forum side, which I seriously doubt. When I got all these connection issues with avast forums, I don't have any problem with other sites.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »
@ Chris Thomas
Any speed improvements (if any) are so minimal as to be almost undetectable to humans. It is also so difficult to measure any speed improvement or other wise as the internet connections aren't consistent enough to get an accurate measurement.

There might well be a noticeable difference however if your ISPs DNS wasn't very good/fast/reliable, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 04:49:31 AM »
So what they are saying about themselves are only half correct 8)

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 10:59:48 AM »
differences between some DNS servers, even if noticed in a benchmark, are indeed, concerning speed, hardly noticeable when browsing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »
So what they are saying about themselves are only half correct 8)

I don't doubt they are telling the truth, but you have lies, damn lies and statistics. Statistics can pretty much be used to support almost any viewpoint, just select the sub-set of statistics that support that view; that isn't lying, its marketing.

In the real world and speed increase is barely noticeable to the human use of the browser as there simply are too many variables in our browsing.