Author Topic: is avast home compatible with outlook express and hotmail?  (Read 2814 times)

bikeman

is avast home compatible with outlook express and hotmail?
« on: June 20, 2004, 08:53:17 PM »
Hi, I've just started using avast home (because I noticed that the latest version of AVG only scanned my xp documents & settings folder!).

Unfortunately Avast isn't scanning my email. It says that 'the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start'. How do I get it to work with outlook express? And can it also work with hotmail?

Thanks

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Re:is avast home compatible with outlook express and hotmail?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 11:53:26 PM »
If you use Outlook Express with a POP3 mail-server (for incoming mail) and a SMTP-server (for outgoing mail) you can get avast! to scan your mail (there are several threads on how to set up POP3/SMTP mail scanning here).

Scanning of web-mail is done when you try to open/save an attacement to your harddisk (all files written is scanned by the regular on-access scanner in avast!).
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

techie101

Re:is avast home compatible with outlook express and hotmail?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 12:12:49 AM »
bikeman,

Outlook Express requires no special module to scan email.
You will notice an Outlook/Exchance module in the On Access Protection Control.  This is for MS Outlook/Exhange.

OE will be protected using the Internet Mail module which can be easily configured if you run the Mail Protection Wizard from the Avast folder in the Startup Programs menu.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Techie