Author Topic: Avast and System Restore  (Read 8343 times)

robinb

Avast and System Restore
« on: June 02, 2010, 06:54:30 PM »
I read in wilder security that when you do a system restore in either windows 7 or xp it messes up avast after the restore and you cannot reinstall or uninstall the program.  I also read it was to be fixed.
I would like to know if this is true or not please.
robin

PapaSmurf

Re: Avast and System Restore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:04:59 PM »
From an older post:

disable self-defense module before attempting a sys restore, otherwise there are 99,99% chances that the restore process will either fail.... or succeed with Avast not running properly anymore.

It seems that before doing a restore, you need to disable the avast defense module,
located in settings/troubleshooting. Uncheck the defense module box.

robinb

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »
From an older post:

disable self-defense module before attempting a sys restore, otherwise there are 99,99% chances that the restore process will either fail.... or succeed with Avast not running properly anymore.

It seems that before doing a restore, you need to disable the avast defense module,
located in settings/troubleshooting. Uncheck the defense module box.

can anyone from Avast confirm this please?
and why is this happening?  i have used so many other antivirus programs and this doesn't happen at all.
Not many are going to remember to uncheck self-defense mode
Especially if they are in a panic and need to restore
robin

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
I hope they fix that because it's easy to forget you have to disable something first before using part of your OS.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »
It is an ongoing issue, I believe it has been reported many times.
As far as a work-around, those instructions should work. You can search
the forum for similar topics, or just clik thru a couple of pages.

robinb

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:14:52 PM »
It is an ongoing issue, I believe it has been reported many times.
As far as a work-around, those instructions should work. You can search
the forum for similar topics, or just clik thru a couple of pages.

As stated- this really needs to be fixed asap! as said i have not seen and believe i have tested over 30 AVs and never saw this issue happen.

robin

robinb

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
I just started using Avast over AVG and plan to recommend all my clients to it, I have not seen any bad faults with AVAST then this one so far.  But if this isn't fixed and I have many clients who are beginner users and will have to use System Restore on occasion because of a bad program install or bad driver install, none but me are going to remember to disable this feature- never-mind find the feature to begin with.
If this is not fixed I will have no choice but not to recommend the program.  This is the OS we are talking about not a conflict with another program.  A conflict with another program you can decided to either remove the program or remove the AV, but with the OS you are talking something entirely different.
robin

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
I just started using Avast over AVG and plan to recommend all my clients to it, I have not seen any bad faults with AVAST then this one so far.  But if this isn't fixed and I have many clients who are beginner users and will have to use System Restore on occasion because of a bad program install or bad driver install, none but me are going to remember to disable this feature- never-mind find the feature to begin with.
If this is not fixed I will have no choice but not to recommend the program.  This is the OS we are talking about not a conflict with another program.  A conflict with another program you can decided to either remove the program or remove the AV, but with the OS you are talking something entirely different.
robin

Exactly right

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »
Are you all using the latest avast version (5.0.545)?
I've used system restore WITHOUT disabling the self defense module and it WORKED.
I thought this issue were addressed in old upgrades of avast ::)
The best things in life are free.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:12:32 PM »
I've used system restore WITHOUT disabling the self defense module and it WORKED.

Apparently not, I have seen this topic pop up a couple of times, thought you even
posted in a couple of them.

Edit:
This was the last Restore subject that I know of:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60137.0
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:18:46 PM by PapaSmurf »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »

Apparently not, I have seen this topic pop up a couple of times, thought you even
posted in a couple of them.

Well, system restore works quite well on a couple of XP(SP3) systems, I set up - even without deactivating the self defence module. But this would probably be just for statistics...
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 08:26:37 AM »
I haven't tried it to see if it works because I haven't had any reason to. In fact, I have never used System Restore since I started using XP in 2005. I did roll back my system a couple of times in 98SE though back in the day. It was possible to do from a DOS prompt but you had to know how. It saved me from a reformat a couple of times.

robinb

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
i did it once i believe, but i have done it for some of my clients computers and I would like to know that if there is a problem and i have to take them back, that avast will continue to work
robin

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 05:36:29 PM »
I think that the only time it breaks is when you restore the system to a day that was prior to the installation of Avast.

Obviously, that would mess up the installation, because that's sort of the point of system restore anyway.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Dch48

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 11:17:50 PM »
I think that the only time it breaks is when you restore the system to a day that was prior to the installation of Avast.

Obviously, that would mess up the installation, because that's sort of the point of system restore anyway.
That could very well be the case.