Author Topic: Avast 5! with WHS  (Read 8755 times)

msdcinfo

Avast 5! with WHS
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:27:32 AM »
I just downloaded version 5 of Avast! and when I open the WHS console the computer is grayed out. And it says Vista and I have Windows 7 installed.

Also, I tried to insert the license of version 4.8 and it doesn't work. I tried to click to convert the 4.8 license into 5 and when I get to the webpage, it asks for a user name and password. I really don't kinow what to do next...

Thanks for your help,

Klode

kadenk

Re: Avast 5! with WHS
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 03:07:48 AM »
I ended up buying a new license :/ but my key was going to die on feb. 1 so oh well but I really could not convert the darn thing...

Texas-Hansen

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 03:35:41 AM »
I've noticed the same thing and commented on it in the beta trial. Try this thread for converting your license to a 5.0 version. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53736.0

EDIT:  In fact, just tried this myself and it worked great.  I went to the .dat file for the WHS Avast license and used Notepad to open that and copied the 4.8 license from that and put that in the info requested the link in that thread above.  Got an email within 20 seconds and had the new file attached, which was basically my license file in a file called license.avastlic   I wouldn't be suprised if it would work if you simiply took your .dat file for WHS and renamed that to .avastlic

Works to get the 5.0 working properly but will not solve the issue of the clients being grayed out in the WHS Console Avast tab.  I think that might require some work by Avast on the WHS Edition to recognize the 5.0 versions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:57:14 AM by Texas-Hansen »

msdcinfo

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:25:23 AM »
Just tried what you suggested and received an e-mail in 20 seconds saying they didn't find any record with my e-mail address... Bought WHS family pack in 2008 and it came with 10 Pro licenses. ??? May be in order to upgrade your license to version 5, you would have to buy the real Avast Pro license, not the one provided with WHS. That's just a tought...

Also tried renaming to .avastlic and it doesn't work either.

What next ???

Thanks for your help anyway,

Klode

Texas-Hansen

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Interesting.  I too have the WHS Family pack with 10 licenses and it worked for me.  Could you have used a different email address when you brought the software from Avast?   Other wise you might try contacting either sales@avast dot com or support@avast dot com to see what they can do to help.

msdcinfo

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:18:05 PM »
The license for WHS family pack expires in march 2010. I looked in the license.dat file and the e-mail address I used is the same for upgrading the license to Avast! 5. I even received the 30% rebate for renewal at the same address. I sent an e-mail to support and wait for an answer. I guess there's nothing I can do while waiting for an answer from support team. I tried all logical solution for now.

Klode

Texas-Hansen

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
You might try this approach; it worked for me on 2 PCs running Avast 4.8 but not a third one.  I downloaded Avast Pro 5.0 to my desktop and then installed it while 4.8 was still installed.  That installed 5.0 over 4.8 and automatically integrated the existing license key.

coolsilver

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 02:33:30 AM »
That is the supported method for converting your valid license key.

Otherwise you can go to the resend license file page off the support page for the file and use the license during installation.

simonsimple

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 02:55:01 AM »
I upgraded from 4.8 to 5.0 using the Pro upgrade on each machine which happily accepted the current license key, but I too have the issue with the WHS console not recognising the new 5.o enabled PC's as connected, it also shows Win Vista instead of Win 7 OS.

rcreation33

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 06:08:58 AM »
can anyone give me avastlic file
i tried a lot but not able to solve problem

Hardwarenutz

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 03:52:30 AM »
To update computers when installing from Avast 4.8 to Avast 5, simply choose to insert license key during installation, as long as your Avast 4.8 license has not expired. *Professional Install on Client only*
Works to get 5.0 working on client computers other than Server. Will not solve the issue of the clients being grayed out in the WHS Console Avast tab.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 05:12:50 AM »
can anyone give me avastlic file
i tried a lot but not able to solve problem

No, they have to be purchased and anyone doing so would ultimately invalidate their license.

Second point don't hijack other peoples topics, especially when your question is totally unrelated to the topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

k4kman

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »
Anyone have any updates on if and or when Avast 5 WHS Edition will be out

My server is just about to expire if it has not already and if they will not upgrade it then i'm open to other suggestions