Author Topic: Bluescreen of Death  (Read 54050 times)

kstruck

Re: Bluescreen of Death
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2010, 05:20:15 PM »
I have version 5 installed on two machines, neither running Cyberlink and both suffer from BSOD a couple times since installing version 5.  My mother just called me this morning since she installed Version she got a BSOD this morning.  She also isnt running Cyberlink.  Mom is running Vista.  My two machines are running Windows 7 Ult.  No BSOD with any of these machine while running 4.8.

Looking forward to a fix.  I lost about 40 minutes worth of work on a huge PowerPoint yesterday which really sucked.

PhilR

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »
So, is it because the behavior shield is causing issues?
I've been reading this in other threads as well.
The only way to find out is for those reporting bluescreens to modify their Avast 5 installation to remove the Behaviour Shield and report back if this fixes the issues for them.

It seemed to for me, but it may be too soon to tell.

Phil

Senior Junior

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
Hi,Crash dump is sent to diagnostics
Auto reboot at startup Windows

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Thu 01.21.2010 20:45:05 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: aswsp.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xA8A56000, 0x0, 0x8053A593, 0x0)
Error: Unknown
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012110-03.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswsp.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: ALWIL Software
description: avast! self protection module

My configuration ,Windows XP SP3, Avast 5 Home +Commodo (only firewall, active guard disable)+Spyware  Doctor(ThreadFire disable)

Returned back on to 4.8 version

P.S.
Find temporally solution to prevent BSOD and returned to  Avast 5 and Power DVD, works fine :)

In Setting /Troubleshooting menu
Mark  “Load avast! Services only after loading other system services”

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:53:29 PM by Senior Junior »

mrm1

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »

So, is it because the behavior shield is causing issues?
I've been reading this in other threads as well.
The only way to find out is for those reporting bluescreens to modify their Avast 5 installation to remove the Behaviour Shield and report back if this fixes the issues for them.

It seemed to for me, but it may be too soon to tell.

Phil

I have had troubles with Avast5 with BSOD on bootup, tried removing Cyberlink with no luck, finally I reinstalled 5 without the Behaviour sheild, and all is now running, Cyberlink included.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:10:41 PM by mrm1 »

pbombart

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »
Same problem with me bought version of avast 5 internet security , I sent a ticket no answer (not serious) . The problem is not coming from the shield ... No powerDVD , so I reinstalled the avast pro 4.8

So my 40 €  are lost , this is a pity  I'm wainting for a fast fix

greenhatch

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 08:35:13 PM »
Hi. I suffered my very first blue screen of death today on my two year old laptop (Vista home premium) and I hope nobody minds if I assume it might be due to the Avast5 I updated to this week. I've no idea how to read a minidump file so I attach it herewith if someone could check out if the bsod was caused by Avast please.
 I should say that I've not had any malfunctions otherwise and Avast5 seems to be working well on my laptop. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:39:31 PM by greenhatch »

kstruck

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »

P.S.
Find temporally solution to prevent BSOD and returned to  Avast 5 and Power DVD, works fine :)

In Setting /Troubleshooting menu
Mark  “Load avast! Services only after loading other system services”

Thanks for the info, so far no BSOD since I made this change.

slider03

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2010, 05:08:08 AM »
Still no official word on this one?

garrett

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »
 :'( It's really sad that we don't have any official answer by the developers on this one. I only hope that this silence is due to the fact that they are working hard on it, because this is a really serious issue.

Diazruanova

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »
:'( It's really sad that we don't have any official answer by the developers on this one. I only hope that this silence is due to the fact that they are working hard on it, because this is a really serious issue.

They can not answer because they are too busy reading lots of dumps ( mini´s, kernel´s etc.) from users having BSOD problems !!! ;D

garrett

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2010, 06:24:14 PM »
Yep, they have a lot of work to do ;D

buttoni

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2010, 06:36:30 PM »
FWIW I have a new HP Pavilion running Win7x64 Home Premium.  Installed Avast5 2 days ago.  I also have Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe pre-installed by HP and used it just yesterday for the first time to make a data disk of files.  I experienced no problems error messages; no BSOD and have had no bootup issues either. 

I've experienced absolutely no problems with Avast5 Free Edition.  FWIW, here's how I went about installing it:  D/L'd fresh copy Avast5 Home and fresh copy of aswClear.exe removal tool.  In normal mode, turned off Avast4.8 real time protection (probably unnecessary, but wasn't sure).  Rebooted into safe mode.  Uninstalled  Avast 4.8 via via Win7 Programs & Features, Uninstall.  Rebooted into safe mode and ran aswClear.exe removal tool from Alwil website to be sure there were no remnants of 4.8.  Rebooted once again into safe mode and ran Avast5 installer with no error messages. 

Rebooted into Normal mode and the Avast system tray icon came up pretty as you please without any exclamation marks.  Icon said "Your System is Secured" when moused over.  Opened GUI to tweak my settings and shields.

Maybe Safe Mode uninstall/install and all those reboots between steps made a difference, as I've not had a bit of troublel with Avast5 Home Free edition. 

gideond

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
I ran into the same problems. I uninstalled all versions of Avast and ran the cleanup tool. Then I rebooted and reinstalled Avast 5. I was not prompted to reboot this time and everything seemed to be working fine. Then I rebooted and it blue screened again shortly after the desktop opened. I ran it for almost a half hour before the reboot with no issues. For me at least it something during startup causing issues. I'm back to 4.8 for now as well. I run a small computer repair business and have several customers set up with Avast Home. I hope my emails reach them before the update does. This so soon after the major false positive issue is seriously making me question my confidence in Avast. I hope things are worked out quickly. For a long time I had no issues with Avast. I'm hoping these issues are quickly fixed and no new ones appear.

Offline savage2000wwe

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2010, 12:44:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been using Avast for several years with NO Problems during this time.

Upgraded from version 4.8.1368 to version 5.0.377 a few days ago.   I thought everything was fine until about 15 minutes after the restart whereby I then received the BSOD.   I thought it was a once off as I had never received one of these screens before (although I had heard of them).   Anyway, restarted my PC and, again, after about 15 minutes the BSOD appeared.   Tried one more time (restart) and the same thing happened.

Uninstalled Avast 5, restarted PC, used CCleaner to wipe away file extensions etc.   Computer has worked fine every since.   I did have the folder Power dvd in my programs folder which I have deleted (I wasn't using it anyway).

PC still doing well - even after being on for 10 hours.   Will wait for an Avast update to hopefully correct the issue before installing it again.

Cheers...Paul

P.S.
If anybody wants to reinstall version 4.8.1368 go to:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/6635/

jhwilen

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2010, 07:23:54 AM »
I had the same issues, plus more.  Avast has been a great product, but I have stopped using them, can't mess around with the problems.  Hope everything works out for you.  Tech support I am sure will be busy working out bugs.