Author Topic: Bluescreen of Death  (Read 54053 times)

greenhatch

Re: Bluescreen of Death
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:02 AM »
I had a second blue screen and attach the minidump herewith for Alwil to utilise. I am unable to read the file myself, however after my laptop had restarted, I got a NetLimiter2 Monitor popup warning (I got that on the first time too if that info is of any use). I'm not seeing any Alwil posts reacting in this thread so I can only presume they are using all these minidumps attached and uploaded to look into the widely reported blue screens.
I look forward to an early 5.0 program update.

Gohoos81

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2010, 09:57:21 AM »
I have PDVD7 Ultra, 8 Ultra and 9 Ultra installed on my desktop.  I mentioned several days ago that I renamed the folders of 7, 8 and 9 and the problem went away with the BSOD page fault in XP SP3 with avast! free v5.  It is now several days later and I have not had any BSODs.  I did this with my laptop and other desktop (which have the same configuration), and while they were having the same BSOD issue, after renaming the folders, there is no such BSOD, and the system is stable.  It is not clear which version of PDVD is causing the issues, but I would suspect v7 and v8 do but not v9, as I can run v9 and avast at the same time without crashes.  The problem has been narrowed down somewhat, so it shouldn't take too long to come up with a fix.  If someone could post when a fix for this has been issued, that'd be helpful.  I'd like to rename the folders in time....

yaslaw

« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »
Hi greenhatch,

I've just looked in your minidump, (I was just curious) and IMHO (but I'm not expert) blue screen was caused by driver st330.sys which I believe belongs to Speedtouch modem driver..
But it will be best to wait for any response from Alwil anyway ;--)

greenhatch

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
Hi greenhatch,

I've just looked in your minidump, (I was just curious) and IMHO (but I'm not expert) blue screen was caused by driver st330.sys which I believe belongs to Speedtouch modem driver..
But it will be best to wait for any response from Alwil anyway ;--)

Thanks for your info yaslaw. I do use a Speedtouch modem so here's hoping that Alwil are able to make Avast5 work with Speedtouch, as I never experienced a blue screen ever on my two year old laptop until I upgraded from 4.8.

yaslaw

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »
maybe you should try to upgrade drivers (is up to date?) before Alwil will look in to it (I believe that they have a plenty of minidump right now to analyse) and this will solve you problem?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:04:13 PM by yaslaw »

greenhatch

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »
maybe you should try to upgrade drivers (is up to date?) before Alwil will look in to it (I believe that they have a plenty of minidump right now to analyse) and this will solve you problem?
I already have the latest Vista driver for my Speedtouch modem.

Sanksoft

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
I have Acer Aspire 2930Z laptop with Windows 7 Home premium 32bit just upgraded from Vista. Clean upgrade.

I installed Avast 5 Internet security with licence for 3 years and there were no problems until I decided to install Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 Ultra (legal copy). Just at the end of PowerDVD installation I got BSOD and computer restated. I could not start windows any more in normal mode, and even had to restart two times to get in safe mode.

I could not uninstall PowerDVD because installation did not finish correctly, but I manage to make windows restore to a point before PowerDVD installation and now all is OK.

Same happened to my friend on Windows XP SP3 Home with installed PowerDVD 8 Ultra, and after installation of Avast 5 Free. Installation of Avast went OK, but after restarting, windows refused to boot correctly. He managed to uninstall Avast 5 free in safe mode and everything get back to normal.

I payed for both programs and I want to use them on same computer. I really like Avast and use it for long time. First as Free, then I upgrade to Pro, and now to Internet Security. Still think is one of the best antivirus programs. But PowerDVD I also like and need so what now?

Can you please do something about that?
Thank you

Wibbler

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »

Just adding my voice as a paying customer. I have 3 laptops and two desktops running Avast Pro. Upgraded one Win7 Desktop to version 5, no problem. Upgraded an Acer 5720 running Vista to version 5 and get BSOD on bootup every time. Had to boot into safe mode and found Control Panel crashed each time.  :o So had to run appwiz.cpl to uninstall Avast. This machine does not run Cyberlink, PowerDVD or any unusual software, just MS Office. Have reverted to AVG on this machine.

Have sent dump. Poor show for a major release. Not expected.

>:(

zone12

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2010, 06:53:04 PM »
Ok well this has affected one of my lesser computers already, I am wondering about the time this update came out. Mountain time please.

Pacifica

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2010, 08:04:46 PM »
To fix the problem try this.

Settings>Troubleshooting and check "Load avast! services only after loading other system services.

I was also getting the blue screen, and once I did this it stopped.

zone12

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 01:38:52 AM »
So is this problem still going on or can we go back to using our computers?

zone12

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 01:39:57 AM »
Ok I've got a question, does avast 4.8 automaticly install 5.0 or do I have to comfrim it with the green box pop up?

kstruck

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2010, 03:06:10 AM »
To fix the problem try this.

Settings>Troubleshooting and check "Load avast! services only after loading other system services.

I was also getting the blue screen, and once I did this it stopped.

This fix does not work for me.  I help my local HOA with their computer issues and several of them took my advice last year and are now using Avast Home addition.  When I informed them of the upgrade, most went ahead and did the upgrade.  Of the 12 who did upgrade 7 of them are having BSOD issues.  None of them are using Cyberlink.  What I have been noticing on my two machines is that the BSOD only happens when IE 8.x is open.  When I spoke to the 7 people who are having issues, they all said the same thing, they were surfing the internet using IE8 when the BSOD happened.  I asked them to try using Firefox instead and none of them, including me have had a problem with the BSOD since.  I went as far last night in uninstalling Avast from Mom's computer and downloaded and installed AVG on her machine.

I am quite surprised that this issue has still not been addressed and fixed.  This is a major problem that should have been worked on all weekend.  That is not to say they have not been working on it all weekend, but I really expected a fix to this by now. 

krgoodwin

Re: Bluescreen of Death Solution ?
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2010, 04:17:46 AM »
I had BSDs on two two machines with Internet Security 5 and received a new driver from avast to replace aswSP.sys in the system32 driver folder.  The new driver seems to have fixed the BSD problems.  On one machine, I got a BSD (page fault) as soon as I rebooted from the installation which forced me into the Safe Mode.  In the Safe Mode, avast isn't run so I was easily able to replace the aswSP.sys driver.  The instructions I received from avast had me disable the self-protection module but I found this step totally unnecessary.  They sent me both a 32-bit Windows and a 64-bit Windows aswSP.exe file replacement.  On the second computer, Internet Security 5 installed without a problem but over the next two days I experienced random BSDs that quickly threw me into a restart. I haven't seen BSDs since Windows 95 so suspecting the same avast problem, I replaced the aswSP driver on my second machine and I have not had any BSDs for the last two days.

slider03

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:47 AM »
So, has this update been made available to everyone?

It would be nice to hear from an official person on this situation.