Author Topic: Bluescreen of Death  (Read 54052 times)

artyfewnote

Re: Bluescreen of Death
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
Hi all

I've got this problem too, regular BSoD in aswSP.sys.

It's a new laptop, just bought yesterday.. no Cyberlink installed.

I was just about to flatten it to take it back to the shop, but having seen this thread I think I'll install 4.8 instead (like my current laptop has) and see what happens...

Watching with interest!

kstruck

Re: Bluescreen of Death Solution ?
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2010, 10:42:40 PM »
I had BSDs on two two machines with Internet Security 5 and received a new driver from avast to replace aswSP.sys in the system32 driver folder.  The new driver seems to have fixed the BSD problems.  On one machine, I got a BSD (page fault) as soon as I rebooted from the installation which forced me into the Safe Mode.  In the Safe Mode, avast isn't run so I was easily able to replace the aswSP.sys driver.  The instructions I received from avast had me disable the self-protection module but I found this step totally unnecessary.  They sent me both a 32-bit Windows and a 64-bit Windows aswSP.exe file replacement.  On the second computer, Internet Security 5 installed without a problem but over the next two days I experienced random BSDs that quickly threw me into a restart. I haven't seen BSDs since Windows 95 so suspecting the same avast problem, I replaced the aswSP driver on my second machine and I have not had any BSDs for the last two days.

What?  Why isn't this available to everyone? 

anjak-j

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »
Had the BSOD happen to me.  Running Win7 32-bit on a Packard Bell Easynote TJ65.  I was just browsing around on Firefox when it happened - clicked a link and poof, dreaded blue screen.

I do have PDVD8 installed, however, I was not doing anything with it at the time.

[WinDbg text attached]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:01:38 AM by anjak-j »

fatbellybinky

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »
I put the new version 5 on three systems over the weekend. One was an older Acer laptop, another was my son's Acer Aspire 5720 and the third was my own oldish desktop system. Both laptops are running Vista Home Edition and my box is running XP with SP3. The only install I had BSOD on was my son's Acer 5720 which was already running 4.8 happily. I installed 5 over the top of 4.8 figuring that it would complain if it wasn't happy to upgrade. The install seemd to work OK but on restarting, two of the resident shields were disabled and refused to be enabled. I uninstalled Avast 5 and re-installed again. This time it worked OK and was able to do a full scan. Next day, it started giving BSOD on start up and despite removing it in safe mode, cleaning out all registry references to Avast and deleting any remaining avast directories I could find under Program Files and then installing again it still gave BSOD on startup. Eventually I gave up,  uninstalled it in safe mode and put 4.8 back on. That is now working fine but I still have several Avast directories under Program Files, namely Alwim Software, Alwil Software1 and then avast5 as well as avast4 under those. I've renamed the Alwil Software1 and the avast5 subdirectories for now and will delete them along with their contents after a couple of days of stable operation of the laptop. The Cyberlink DVD program is NOT installed on this laptop but there is a Cyberlink PowerProducer application which was included in the pre-installed Vista image that came on the laptop.  I'll be sticking with 4.8 on my son's laptop, at least until  5 is sorted out as I can do without the hassle :-(

Timmi.C

« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
Try to disable this feature. I'm disabling everything works fine.

Iangho

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »
To fix the problem try this.

Settings>Troubleshooting and check "Load avast! services only after loading other system services.

I was also getting the blue screen, and once I did this it stopped.

Thanks for posting this as it allowed me to install Avast 5 ;D

I did notice my BSODs were occurring at the Restoring Network Connections stage of logon.

I use wireless. What % are using wireless with BSODs?

Ian

fatbellybinky

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
My son's Acer certainly uses wireless but I've reverted it back to V4.8 now for stability.  I assume you would need to make the settings change to V5 in Safe Mode as Windows will BSOD before to can get in to a normal startup session. Although V5 seems to be running OK on my XP system and I haven't noticed any particular slowing down, I'd be interested to know of any settings that may be worth tweaking to avoid any performance issues. My box is only a 1.4GHz AMD so not a speed machine at the best of times :-)

Jack 1000

« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »
No Blue Screen of Death,

But when I installed 5.0 over 4.8 the program would sometimes freeze when visiting the Help menu especially when viewing the Behavior Shields in the new GUI.  This happened about 50% of the time, resulting in 5 freeze-ups,

I would often wait for several minutes before opening up the GUI and thought I would try to reproduce the error.  Go into the GUI, access Help and you get a 50% chance of a crash and the only solution is to hit the Power Button for rebooting.

I could not uninstall Avast through the Clean Up utility because I was getting some error message.  I also did not know the path/file name it wanted.  However, a check of the hidden folders, I was looking for anything resembling Avast and did not find it.

At any rate, I did COMPLETELY uninstall 5.0 from Add/Remove Programs and did a reinstall.  Got a new license key, UNCHECKED the "Enable advanced graphic interface" or something like that in Basic settings and am just staying out of the Help file because now it seems to be working well.  I did submit a response ticket and bug report.

I do like version 5 better than version 4 and can feel the difference in less memory used.  I would say DON'T just over-ride version 4.  Remove it through Add/Remove programs and than get Version 5 and a new license key.

Everyone should get a fresh install and new license for best results.

Updates have gone great!  It's just getting over those little initial installation "humps."  I would hope that the next bug fix will take of these things, because once these issues are resolved, this program will be phenomenal!

Jack

Ed_H

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2010, 06:10:29 PM »
My wife got a BSOD on her Vista SP2 laptop just browsing this morning with IE8. Only other security software installed is DefenseWall 2.56.
Mini dump emailed to VLK.

greenhatch

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »
For what it's worth, I have not suffered another blue screen since I turned off behavior shield.

PhilR

« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2010, 01:19:37 AM »
For what it's worth, I have not suffered another blue screen since I turned off behavior shield.
Nor have I.  Others don't appear to be so lucky, though.

alistair94

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2010, 01:23:32 AM »
Back to 4.8 here on all three PC's - don 't need this hassle, BSOD's every day, aint seen them for years!

camphill

« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2010, 02:26:55 AM »
Anyone have a link for 4.8?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2010, 02:35:02 AM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

davemc759

« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2010, 03:10:52 AM »
I have the same problem here on one of the computers using 5, the other (this one) is fine. Installed 5 and can no longer use the machine; BSOD within minutes of operation. Cyberlink is not installed.