Author Topic: IS Avast sandbox effective ? watch that video ..  (Read 34971 times)

Hermite15

Re: IS Avast sandbox effective ? watch that video ..
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 11:24:24 PM »
worrying results anyway, for the time being... can't spend our time taking into accounts future improvements, which I do believe will or might happen btw, but in the meantime we've just seen how a computer got infected using Avast pro sandbox and there's not much to add. Product is not finish, period. Same goes probably for the firewall that hasn't been tested properly so far. I'm saying here again what I said when asked about the readiness of the product, in the end of the beta testing: "free" yes, definitely, but "pro" and "IS", no.
 Now the problem is that people there get for free a product that is, imo, more than satisfactory, while others pay for the extra features that aren't satisfactory at all. I haven't tested the sandbox, saw just that it crashed with IE/32 (or more precisely that IE/32 would crash when sandboxed), but I've played a bit with the firewall, many bugs (posted tens of times now with hardly any feedback), didn't test it professionally but I've seen enough of it to be sure that it would allow a trojan to connect...failing like the sandbox allowing malware to spread all over the place. Good job guys, you can afford making a few mistakes on a free product, but hardly on a commercial one.

justphil

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 07:03:56 AM »
Some funny stuff on this forum and the vid is basically worthless, no offense.

This test basically shows that deliberately executing a malicious file with your AV and firewall disabled will cause MBAM to show those positive results.  Hardly earth shattering.  IE was sandboxed here, downloaded executables were not.

ace11

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »
@justphil:

please learn more about sandbox features before writing such funny comments  8)

justphil

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 07:49:03 AM »
please read about a firewall before being such a d-bag

justphil

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 07:54:45 AM »
just read the comments on the youtube vid, they posted exact same thing I thought.

"i don't think that avast sandbox was supposed to protect you from downloads i think it only protects from browser exploits
if you wanted to run a program you needed to run it virtualized separately(6:01 no red border)"

"You setup the sandbox to run INternet Explorer, not the exe's you downloaded... You should right click on the virus or trojan you are testing and select run in sandbox if you want to run an external exe."

Again, because the sandbox isn't being used correctly, AV disabled, and appears firewall disabled, this test basically shows that deliberately executing a malicious file with your AV and firewall disabled will cause MBAM to show those positive results.  Not earth shattering.

Peace bleotch

ace11

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
@justphil

If you dont know anything about sandboxing , plz dont learn about it from random (non educated) comments @ youtube  :P
try to be more pro ?

nice day  8)

justphil

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »
Sandboxing is nothing new, and it isn't something I'm learning.  I don't think your grasping the concept that IE is sandboxed but downloaded .exe's are not sandboxed here, the malware must also kept within the sandbox.  I can't make it any more clear to you.  Also, his firewall was turned off but you don't seem to pay any attention to that or that this test was ran in a shoddy fashion at best. 

Your telling others they don't know much about security is hilarious, go back to your amateur youtube security vids please.

Vocare

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
Avast sandbox is good add-on that prevented us from bad trojan, malware or what so ever while we surfing, I've used sandboxies since last year that keep me safe from what ever attacked on my system.
http://www.sandboxie.com/

I'm now ran with Avast 5.0.396 sandbox on Firefox 3.6 without any problem.

Looking forward with better improvement on Avast sandbox, keep good works.

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 01:16:55 PM »

When I  disabled the "File system shield, Web Shield, and Behavior shield" should the Process Visualization still have continued to function?

yes, of course yes, as as explained above, the sandbox is another layer of protection in case the others fail. And I can't see anyway how the sandbox should depend at all on other security shields in avast. You should be able to turn them all off, run the sandbox, and be safe for whatever happens inside the sandbox. One issue seems to be an option in the sandbox expert settings related to "safe locations" where it's not clear what safe locations are (could be the desktop, predefined download folder etc...I'm not sure at all). So when this option remains checked (the default), things can happen outside the sandbox, and that's a wanted behavior. Would be interesting if that was controlled, ie if we knew what locations are considered safe, and what we send there...

ace11

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 01:42:04 PM »
" ..Would be interesting if that was controlled, ie if we knew what locations are considered safe, and what we send there... "

exactly , this information is critical to the user and its not detailed @ the help file of AIS

johnatanR

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »
avast sandbox is a little unstable in firefox 3.6. If ouver many tabs it gets unstable, the sound sometimes does not work in videos, it seems that avast sandbox also virtualizes the sound insulation of windows 7 which was not to be isolated.

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »
avast sandbox is a little unstable in firefox 3.6. If ouver many tabs it gets unstable, the sound sometimes does not work in videos, it seems that avast sandbox also virtualizes the sound insulation of windows 7 which was not to be isolated.

hi,

you should have started a new thread for two reasons:

1 the thread here is too old
2 the thread here is about sandbox security, not functionality.