Author Topic: Not even a thank you?  (Read 8952 times)

Straight Shooter

Not even a thank you?
« on: June 21, 2004, 01:57:35 AM »
Hello...
I decided to try out Avast! Pro, again for a couple of days..
I sent some samples on Friday, of some undetected malware, and I didn't even get a thank you reply!  
The only reason I am asking is because, suppose I have some LEGITIMATE samples to submit, assuming I buy AVAST! PRO, will  they get added to the database?
Do you folks share samples with other companies?
See my concern?
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 01:58:11 AM by Straight Shooter »

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
Re:Not even a thank you?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 02:09:22 AM »
Hey Straight Shooter,
     It's radicalb21. You might recognize me from other forums. First let me ask a couple of questions.

1. When did you send it on Friday?
2. Next did you send it via the Virus Chest or regular email?
3. What address did you send it to?

If you can answer these questions I'll try and help you.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Straight Shooter

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 02:21:56 AM »
Hey Straight Shooter,
     It's radicalb21. You might recognize me from other forums.

Yes, I remember you!  How are you?

First let me ask a couple of questions.
1. When did you send it on Friday?

Friday night, around 11:00 pm, eastern standard time, USA

2. Next did you send it via the Virus Chest or regular email?
Regular mail

link
3. What address did you send it to?
virus@asw.cz

Maybe They don't work weekends.. That's understandable..I thought they did... LOL..
Actually, I like the program SO much I may sign up with them and submit samples on a regular basis to help you all.. The way it runs and the forum impresses me...
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 08:56:02 AM by Vlk »

Kobra

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 02:33:33 AM »
LOL Straight, welcome to a forum i'm not banned on.  (yet)   ;D

Anyway, I sent in a large amount of samples on I believe Friday as well, and have not heard back yet either.  So I believe they are out of the office this weekend, understandable, it is a Holiday after all.

Avast is a solid product, and there are many fans working to make it better too, and this forum easily has one of the best communities you'll find anywhere (well, next to the 250k member one I plant my boots in  ;) )

Its funny, I keep uninstalling Avast, and installing other AVs, then eventually re-install Avast all over again because I miss it..  Its like some wierd "Friend" you come to depend on, and want to see everyday when you login to your computer.  :-*

Straight Shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 02:46:50 AM »
Kobra, it certainly seems you're running out of forums, LOL.. ;D

I like the product too... It doesn't slow down my machine on bootup, and seems to clean stuff good.. I'm spoiled by KAV, I guess...LOL... Figure if I can submit stuff to them, at least it'll help us all...

Does Avast share it's findings with other AV companies?

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 02:49:26 AM »
Hey StraightShooter,
     First let me say I'm fine. Secondly there is a six hour time difference between between the US and CZ. If you didn't get a response yet please give it a little more time as they don't work weekends that I'm aware of. The forum is open 24/7/365. Both VLK and Igor are here at times on the weekend. Also all the forum members and other Alwil Staff, Moderators, and Administrator are all willing to help. This forum is helpful and very user friendly. Also I'm an avast reseller. if you are interested in buying it please visit my website www.v1ru5help.org or email v1ru5sales@v1ru5help.org . I hope this helps.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Kobra

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 03:20:03 AM »
Why WTF happened to the formatting here suddenly.

Anyone else seeing jacked up formatting on this thread?

Straight Shooter

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 03:28:54 AM »
Yeah, I thought I had a virus or something, seeing how the screen looked.. LOL... But then I went to other sites and they are all fine...

Okay, thank you.. I wasn't sure, that's why I posted my question. I hear Good things about the Avast Gang..

Kobra

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 04:21:42 AM »
You do know man, its only a matter of time before the cultists eat you over at Wilders place, don't you? Its like a pack of hungry wolves watching a pig roast from the edge of the forest everytime they see you post over there.   ;D

I'm still perplexed at how you avoided Pauls wrath up till this point man. Holy god, he rained down hellfire on me everytime I posted a problem with the "Chosen" AV.  But on the bright side, I forwarded all of his PM's to Eset and demanded a refund, they read them in horror, and complied. LMAO!

Anyway, I sent in another 180 samples just now to Avast, lets hope we hear some action this week from all of the samples they probably got hit with over the weekend.. LOL!  Between the generic detections those samples probably will generate, thats a good 1000 bugs I sent in possibly?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 04:23:11 AM by Kobra »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 10:29:16 AM »
Kobra, your samples were received (thanks!) and are being processed, but they'll take some time to add I guess.

As for the submissions - well, I really wouldn't expect the answers during the weekend ;)
In fact, there is an enormous number of submissions every day (which doesn't mean they're all new - many of them are already detected and the users submitted them just for sure) - so, when there is no question in the submission e-mail (i.e. it doesn't contain anything except for the sample), the guys usually don't respond back after processing the submission.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 11:06:02 AM »
What about automated reply for submissions?
Something like:

Thank you for your submission.
Samples will be processed asap.

Date: xx.yy.zzzz
Submission No.xx
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

kubecj

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 11:33:06 AM »
rejzor:

customer AT home DOT com = C
virus AT avast DOT com = V

C: here are viruses
V: thank you

C: autoreply, I got your mail

I really love autoresponders  :P

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 11:41:49 AM »
LOL hehe. Well i meant for dedicated submitters like Kobra who submit a lot of samples regulary. So he just enters keyword in subject field and your server recognizes this. Something like that...
I had to do some more brain work on this one,but today its just not the day for such work,at least for me right now ;)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Kobra

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 04:05:17 PM »
On a side note, Avasts generic detection, or "Heuristics" if it makes you feel tingly, is actually really good.  Found that out last night in a 600 worm scan run with it..

In fact, its one the best wormy detectors i've seen.  ;D

Stephan123

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 04:14:28 PM »
yes that is true ;).And i think that AVG the worst worm finder is